• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts on device and on Google gmail.

Mike75

Aug 27, 2016
Wife and I are new Galaxy On5 users. Currently, our contacts are in my Google gmail account with both phones linked to that same gmail account.

Because of experimenting (new smartphone user), when I display our contacts list:
... On my phone I see:
...."Contacts on Google", I see the list of contacts.
... "Contacts on Device" I see only a single entry which is my name.

... On my wife's phone I see:
... "Contacts on Google" - I see the list of contacts.
... "Contacts on Device" - I see a list of contacts like on Google but some are missing.

I want to keep our master list of contacts on Google gmail. My questions are:
... 1. Will having a list of contacts "in the device" cause problems?
... 2. Should I delete all of the contacts in my wife's "Contacts on Device"?

I went ahead and deleted all of the contacts in my wife's "Contacts on Device", except for her profile contact that cannot be deleted. Will see what happens. No response necessary now.

we can't allow you to get by without a response

you did the right thing:
I made that mistake on my first smart phone, thinking I did not want the world to know anything about my contacts...

experienced a couple of 'ah crap' moments and learned my lesson.

now, all of my stuff is on Google Contacts.... sure makes like easier when you have an accident, as I did on July 12th, and killed my phone..... all 491 contacts were still alive on Google... including the images for each contact ( if they have one )

new phone? old contacts right where they belong.

Upvote 0
Hi Bg260 and AZgl1500,
... Thanks once again for your replies.

For anyone who knows,

Ran into another problem. The one list of contacts on Google gmail is now the master list of contacts for both my wife and me. This presents the problem.

In Google, the contacts marked as favorites are shared between my wife and me due to sharing of the same contacts list. In the Samsung "Phone" app that came with our phones, the favorites list appears to be synced on both phones. But my wife doesn't need to see her phone number in her "Samsung Phone" favorites list and I don't need to see my phone number in my "Samsung Phone" favorites list. She want her friends on the first page of her favorites list but I want my friends on my first page of my favorites list.

QUESTIONS:
--------------
1. The Samsung "Phone" app (that comes with the On5) lists "all" google contacts marked as favorites on both of our phones. Is there a way to get unique lists on both phones?

2. I think maybe a third party phone app could do it but I would like to get one that shows two contacts per row to have the maximum number of contacts shown at once. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
well, I can just suggest that you are each going to have to maintain your own contacts list.

My daugher's phone broke, I gave her my old S5, and plugged in her SIM...
uh oh??? her contacts, and my contacts merged together.....

huh? yep, on my phone, I suddenly had a lot of strange stuff, and so did she...
so, we both started deleting the ones we don't want....

ha ha ha, we ended up with no contacts at all.... well almost, we realized what was going on, and we stopped that nonsense.

problem was, my phone was still sync'd to my Google account....

the fix for that was to unsync my old phone, and log out of Google with it....

for you, you are going to have to UnSync both of your phones from the Contacts lists...

Now, you can use an app like SuperBackup to create a backup file of your contacts....
she can do the same....

then, you can import her contacts, and she can import your contacts....

now you both have all of the contacts, but they are NOT sync'd.

Upvote 0
well, I can just suggest that you are each going to have to maintain your own contacts list.

My daugher's phone broke, I gave her my old S5, and plugged in her SIM...
uh oh??? her contacts, and my contacts merged together.....

huh? yep, on my phone, I suddenly had a lot of strange stuff, and so did she...
so, we both started deleting the ones we don't want....

ha ha ha, we ended up with no contacts at all.... well almost, we realized what was going on, and we stopped that nonsense.

problem was, my phone was still sync'd to my Google account....

the fix for that was to unsync my old phone, and log out of Google with it....

for you, you are going to have to UnSync both of your phones from the Contacts lists...

Now, you can use an app like SuperBackup to create a backup file of your contacts....
she can do the same....

then, you can import her contacts, and she can import your contacts....

now you both have all of the contacts, but they are NOT sync'd.
Ouch! Back to the old days. Yes, unsyncing would work.

I think I stumbled on a solution. Apparently the Samsung "Phone" app's favorite display allows each user to rearrange the contacts to their own liking. I'm going to flag all of my wife's favorites as well as mine. I believe this will result in "all" of the favorites to be displayed on both phones.

Then we each arrange the most important contacts at the top of the list with the undesired ones at the bottom. On the first access of the favorites list, my wife just sees her favorites displayed with my favorites out of sight unless she scrolls the screen. Likewise for my favorites.

BTW, in trying to find a third party app to list speed dials, I found "Speed dial forever" on youtube. Looked good with 3 contacts per row for the maximum number of speed dial contacts displayed at once on the screen. BUT, after installing that app, the first thing it wants is for the user to register with their name, password, email and mobile number as required fields for registering. NO THANKS!!! No way would I give that info to an unknown company. Bye, bye "Speed dial forever". Uninstalling you asap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones