• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts / People, technology shock

Hi, I have just upgraded to a Nexus 4 from a Wildfire S. I had all of my contacts in the phone. That option doesn't appear to exist with the Nexus 4. Unless it's hiding somewhere?

I can't remember what it was but I had a problem with using Gmail contacts when I got the Wildfire. I think one or two refused to sync. I didn't like the hyphens that Google stuffed into my phone numbers either, presumably putting the numbers into an American format (?) but generally making the UK dialing codes a mess.

Can anyone comment? I can live with Gmail contacts if I have to.

Thanks,
John

Hi, if I created a contact in the Wildfire I had the option of saving it to SIM (a bit of ancient history there), the phone, Gmail or Hotmail. Gmail adds random hyphens to the nbr and didn't sync some, Hotmail didn't do photos and the amount of information I could add about the contact was minimal so I ended up choosing the phone option. I was anticipating importing my contacts. There is an import action available on the Nexus but I'm a bit nervous of using it for fear of where the import will go. Gmail? Somewhere else?

Maybe it's time I bit the bullet and asked the alternative question; is there a way to persuade Gmail to keep it's sticky fingers off the actual nbr and not insert hyphens?

For instance 01234 123456 becomes 012-3412-3456. More or less.

Thanks,
John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones