1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Contacts - phone/google/fb merge

1. gnarlyDUCK

gnarlyDUCK Well-Known Member

When i scroll through my contact list, with the google and facebook integration:
    I sometimes have multiple entries for 1 person.

Is there a way to merge multiple entries into 1 contact?

I know within Gmail (contact) you can select multiple, then click on "Merge these _ contacts..", is there a way to do this on the phone?

Advertisement
    :
  2. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

If you go in to your contacts list and click edit, scroll down a bit and it will ask you if you want to link to a facebook profile

Alternatively find the contact you want and chose the tab (tab bar is at the bottom) for facebook (looks like a head with a spinning circle next it) click that and link the contact with the facebook profile.
  3. gnarlyDUCK

^ I got that down - that just seems to fill in a bday and picture.

Maybe i can give a scenario im trying to solve:

If i open "People" it gives me a list of contacts ive said and it labels it Phone, then it also syncs all my contacts within Gmail and labels them Google.
    So if i scroll down the list I end up having:

Jane Doe - Phone (shows me phone, facebook if i entered, other #s)
    jane doe - Google (shows me usually just email)

Is there a way to merge the two entries?

Further more, is there a way for the People list to automatically fill in the facebook profile instead of having to "tap to link facebook"?
  4. itsaddison

itsaddison Active Member

I noticed these same duplicates. After messing with it for a bit, I decided the easiest thing to do was just delete the extras. Haven't had any others pop up since. Really not sure what caused it because there were a few triples of the same Google contact, even though I KNOW there was only one initially.
  5. gnarlyDUCK

Yea, I think the easiest method so far is to, copy the email > paste email in contact (phone) > delete google contact. My hopes though, is that this doesnt delete the actual contact within my google account? :confused:

Being at work, and only my 2nd day with the phone, i havent had alot of time to play around with contacts/People yet. :D
  6. itsaddison

itsaddison Active Member

Well you and I took opposite approaches. You kept the Phone contacts, I kept the Google ones. I guess we'll see how that works out for you!

And yea it takes a lot of time to completely familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of this phone. My gf has been jealous, and angry, haha.
  7. gnarlyDUCK

Haha! Hats off to that.. mine hated the Hero til i let her play with Teeter. :cool:
  8. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

FOUND A SOLUTION

There is a way around this. It's not possible to merge contacts but if you go in to the Phone book (ALL). Click Menu and View. At the bottom you can select to show only one option for duplicate contacts.

Dont understand why you would want to save a contact to phone AND to google. Seems overkill.
    Plus why get rid of Google numbers? They constantly syncing so you will never lose a number again.

Also you cant auto link people and facebook. It will make a suggestion but thats as good as you will get. Dont think I would like the phone auto linking people as I have a few people with same first and last name in facebook/phonebook.
  9. Eigo_Ltd

Eigo_Ltd New Member

If you want an easy way to merge a Phone contact into an existing Google contact then there is a free application called "Merge Contact". At the moment it moves the phone number from a Phone contact to a Google contact. You can download it from the Market or see details about it here : www.eigo.co.uk

Hope that helps someone, I wrote it because I had the same problem :)
  10. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

You should definitely keep google contacts if it's a choice between that and Phone. That way, your contacts will always be backed up in case the worst happens.
  11. kev23777

kev23777 New Member

I had this problem due to naming differences between Facebook and my Google Contacts. Specifically I had my mom listed as "Mom" while her facebook profile has her actual name. I renamed my google contact to her name and put "Mom" as her nickname, but it didn't automatically merge the two records. The solution that I ended up with was to go into the facebook app's settings under "Sync Contacts" and select Remove Facebook data. I checked my contact list and all the facebook contact data was removed, leaving only one contact for my mom. Then I went back and restored facebook contact syncing. When I went to my contact list my mother's google contact now listed her facebook info, leaving only one contact.

Hope this helps someone.
  12. pmheart6

pmheart6 New Member

I've gone through the trouble of linking contacts, but when I went to google voice and tried to make a call, I couldn't because it didn't sync.
  13. rzlatic

rzlatic New Member

there's no need to delete anything.

at least on on gingerbread: long hold on a contact, select Edit Contact, then click menu and the Join option. android will automaticaly suggest the duplicate (and it's quite accurate ;) and it will join/merge currect google contact with facebook one.

the only thing is that joining worked only for google contacts, which had to be joined with facebook one - not reverse.

hope it helps.