Contacts pictures are blurry?Support

Last Updated:

1. centdukesfan

centdukesfan Active Member This Topic's Starter

Why is it that contact pictures are blurry on the evo? If someone in my contacts calls their picture shows up (taken from the evo camera mind you) very blurry and pixelated...

Ive also noticed that pictures in the internet browser are super compressed...

Advertisement
  2. hyabusha

hyabusha Active Member

Is there a fix? Anyone?

3. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

Most likely the phone is not doing a good job at downsizing the pic.

Try cropping the pic to the actual resolution it shows in a call.

What's the resolution? No idea. If someone takes a screenshot of it we could find out.

4. senormatt

senormatt Well-Known Member

Here's the fix that I read about which works but you have to do it for individual people:

You create a new "Phone contact" (make sure it's not a google contact there's a setting for each) of the person and add their picture from the gallery. Then link it to their google contact and you click on their picture and make sure to choose to use the phone contact's picture. If you get it right you'll have no blurry pics. I just went ahead and did it for my favorites.

5. centdukesfan

senor matt, it shouldnt be that complicated....

6. darweth

darweth Well-Known Member

Yeah. That honestly sounds like a pretty ridiculous fix. But I appreciate it.

7. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I noticed as well but it doesn't bother me that much. I'll deal with it. The pictures in the People widget look better.

8. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

I don't experience this problem with my favorite widget or my contacts in people. I have all my contacts synced with my Google account. I have the contact picture's synced with facebook. No blurry pics.

9. senormatt

true but that's the only fix I've seen that works. takes about 30 secs.

10. Justin Fletcher

Justin Fletcher Member

Thanks for the fix. This was driving me crazy.

11. saecrow

saecrow Active Member

thanks given, senormatt! fixed me right up:D

12. centdukesfan

way too many contacts to do that with.

13. sitlet

sitlet Banned

I believe this problem occurs because the people app downsizes the pic for the people screen, which im guessing is something like 30x30. When that person calls you, it takes that picture and blows it up to about 100x100, causing it to look blurry. seniormatt's fix seems to work fine.

14. senormatt

yeah it's kind of a bandaid until google fixes whatever the issue is. Just do it real quick to your 10 most frequently contacted people and you'll feel better - should only take a couple mins.

15. DaDoc04

DaDoc04 Active Member

thanks for the fix.... guess i will do my top 5 folks to hold me over until a fix is done.

16. punch01

punch01 Member

finally a fix for now! thanks for the info....

17. bobatanner

bobatanner New Member

All you've gotta do is the following:

1. Log into your GMAIL account.
    2. Export all of your contacts onto your Desktop
    3. Connect your HTC EVO to your computer
    4. Connect it as Disk Drive
    5. Drag the exported Google contacts into your HTC EVO (make sure you are NOT dragging it into any folders)
    6. Disconnect/Eject
    7. On your EVO, open People> Menu> Import/Export> Import from SD Card > Save as "PHONE"
    8. Then follow the steps from SenorMatt (just the linking and making sure phone is the default picture part)

hyabusha likes this.
  18. Kerri-Ann

Kerri-Ann New Member

THANK YOU!! Perfect fix :)

19. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find it totally ridiculous that we need to do this to make the images less compressed?

And why are web images SOOO compressed????

KENNECTED likes this.
  20. honeyBfly

honeyBfly Member

I find that every time I flash a new ROM and reload my contacts, they are blurry. So to fix that, I went into each contact and choose EDIT to redo their pictures and it worked. Time consuming of course especially if most of your contacts have pictures...lol

But on some ROM's...this method doesn't work. If you do one, it fixes it but when you do the next one, the last one is blurry...go figure. I am currently on Fresh 3.2 and followed my steps and re-edit all of my pictures...caller ID's are no longer blurry. I did a nandroid backup asap so I will not have this problem if I decide to flash another ROM and then go back to Fresh 3.2.

21. Nayogod

Nayogod Member

There have been some suggestions on how to workaround this issue but the one I prefer which is what I have done is not to sync my contact with my Google account.
    I still sync my calendar, my gmail and picasa but not my contact.

I love to sync my contacts with my Google account but if not doing so resolves this annoying blurry contact pictures then that’s what I will do and that’s what I have done. Since I did that, my contact pictures have always been great just the way I set them up in the first place.

I do understand that Google shrinks the resolution of these pictures to save space and probably to ensure that the pictures load up fast when making or receiving calls and I don’t see anything wrong with that.
    I blame the operating system (android). I think there should be the option in the contact for which picture to be used as the default contact picture. We should have the option to use either Google picture or use the picture in our phone as the contact picture for any contact just like there is the option to use either Google picture or Facebook picture for any contact that is also linked to your Facebook account.

I have HTC Evo and if you also want to NOT sync your contact to your Google account, just go to Menu->Setting->Accounts & sync->Google. Uncheck sync contacts.

22. ava deacon

ava deacon New Member

yes. there is a quick fix. instead of going through gallery to add a cantact pic, you have to go to edit contact. once you are in edit mode, you can tap on the little pic in the upper left corner. it will give you the option of deleting the pic or going to gallery. tap "gallery". then you can pick your picture. I know it seems like you are doing the same thing as going through gallery, but it works this way for some reason. just make sure that when it lets you crop in gallery that you craop close to the person's face. that worked for me. hope it helps. btw, my pics were imported from my computer, not taken on the evo.

23. Aldro

Aldro Member

I have the same problem and also discovered that not syncing my contacts with Google/Gmail fixes the problem.

I have sent an email to HTC notifying them of this issue and according to them, this problem can be resolved with an update, but it will take some time to get to that. From what I gather, it's on their list of issues and there probably will be an update in the future that fixes this problem.

24. sunnydt

sunnydt New Member

my pictures did the same thing...very blurry but I ran the facebook sync again in settings and waited a few minutes. now the photos look a lot better.

25. chief113

chief113 Well-Known Member

It's not that bad. And it works.

It