Contacts QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. trach

trach Member This Topic's Starter

this is my first smartphone (desire) and i bought it used. he only had it a week and there was no trace of him on it, except when i went to add contacts and then there was a massive list of names and email addresses, none of which i recognize. i've downloaded a lot of apps and set up a bunch of stuff so i don't want to restore the phone or anything.. i've only inputed 3 of my contacts so i don''t mind starting over. how do i get rid of those names and emails that show up when i want to add a contact? they're not in any contact list anywhere..? i just want a blank slate. i'm using a brand new sim card

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

you have to do a hard reset to get rid of the previous owners gmail account and contacts.

3. trach

looking at it a bit more, it appears that this huge list of emails and names also includes everyone i've ever emailed from my gmail account. i went into sync options and unsynced "contacts" and "email" and they still all appear as a search list when i select add a contact.. seems crazy that you can't get rid of it?

4. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

Check the options and see if the contacts were actually imported from google email or from phone to phone at the store. It is a lot easier to remove if they were imported at the store phone to phone.

The problem will be again if the original owner's gmail account was synced and the contacts were downloaded from there. If that is the case you cannot really run from hard reset.

5. trach

sure, but lets forget that for a second, i don't want all the names and email addresses from my gmail account there either, how do i get rid of those? i have no contacts in gmail, its just listing everyone i've ever emailed.. i don't want them in my phone though..

6. trach

nothing?

7. trach

guess not

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

is this in people?

If so, you can set up to not add Auto created contacts from gmail

9. spile

spile Well-Known Member

Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications > All > Phone > Clear Data

10. trach

ok solved it, went to google.com/dashboard and then contacts which showed me all my phone contacts but also all my contacts period (all 2000 of them) which was basically just a list of everyone i'd ever emailed or been emailed from my gmail account. i just selected all and unchecked my phone contacts, delete, and voila! all gone. now when i add a contact in my phone it doesn't give me a list of 2000 emails i don't care about. just a fresh contact template