contacts ringtones

Last Updated:

1. fasc-spo

fasc-spo New Member This Topic's Starter

This has probably been asked before but I could not find it anywhere. I've just purchased a Samsung Fascinate (love it so far) but want to "personalize" ringtones for some of my contacts. I go into contacts & it shows ringtones but I can't figure out how to modify them. What's the secret? Thanks much!

Advertisement
  2. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

For some reason the contact has to be stored locally on the phone (not Gmail) to use custom ringtones. If the contact is on the phone, long press on the contact, choose Edit and touch Ringtone near the bottom and that should let you change it from the default ringer.

If the contact is in gmail, it won't show the option. If you only have a couple, you can manually enter them and choose Phone instead of Google when creating the contact. If you have a lot, you can hit the menu button inside of contacts, choose more, import/export, export to sd card. Then you can choose import from sd card and set it to save it to the phone. Inside of Contacts, you'll also see Display Options when you hit the menu button. You'll want to uncheck the google contacts and turn off sync for google contacts in the sync settings.

fasc-spo likes this.
  3. fasc-spo

fasc-spo New Member This Topic's Starter

Ah-ha. I do sync with Google contacts. I haven't figured out how to sync with Outlook (not corporate) contacts. I use Outlook to "pull" my email from gmail. I exported my Outlook contacts & imported them into gmail because I have not figured out how to sync with Outlook yet.

4. aseiter

aseiter New Member

So we are saying that I can't have contact ringtones AND sync with google contacts? One or the other? wtf?

5. nunyazz

nunyazz Well-Known Member

6. sandygram

sandygram New Member

Not necessarily. How many contacts do you want to have personalized ringtones? I have a handful, so create a new contact for those people only (make sure that you create a "phone" contact). The phone will automatically link this contact with your google contact, so you won't have 2 of the same contact. Once you've added it as a "phone" contact, the option for assigning a ringtone becomes available.

It's a pain in the butt, I know, but it seems to work. For the life of me, I can't figure out why on a GOOGLE based phone, the default everywhere is not GOOGLE!!