Contacts saved in "People" app NOT popping up for Mail...but FACEBOOK is??Support

Last Updated:

1. scudder

scudder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello...check THIS one out. I'm new to Android with my EVO purchase but I'm getting the hang of this. I'll TRY to be as clear as possible...

I came from a Palm Centro soooooo no way to easily sync Palm contacts with the EVO. I converted an export to iCal, coverted the iCal to another file type, uploaded to gmail and ALL MY CONTACTS ARE THERE...NO PROBLEMS!!! I see the contacts in my gmail account online; I see my contact in my "People" app on the EVO.

I have a list of contacts that are ONLY email addresses...there are 28 of them. Online in gmail I see them; on the phone I see them when I scroll through the People app. I even put them in a group named "Emails" and see that group with NO PROBLEM online and on the phone.

For EASE OF FINDING THE CONTACTS, I designated all these email-only contacts with the letter "X" in front of the name. For example, to send an email to myself, the contact is "XScott"...to send an email to my father it is "XDad"...that way all I have to do to address an email is type "X" and up should pop allllllllll 28 of my "X-Email" names from gmail and the People app.

That SHOULD happen...now here's the problem...

FOR SOME REASON, when I launch the Mail app and start typing "X..." in the "To" field NOT ALL OF MY EMAIL CONTACTS SHOW UP!! Specifically, ONLY EIGHT out of TWENTY-EIGHT appear as options to click for addressing my email!!

In other words, if I type "XS" to in "XScott" in my contacts in the "To" field there is NO CONTACT!! If I type "XD" for "XDad"...NO DAD!!

ODDLY, if I start typing my email address, e.g., "scott@aol.com" then my email address DOES pop up...but is labeled "HISTORY" rather than for the group "Email" that I have designated in gmail/People app.

Interestingly, ALL the available people in the "XName" format when I type "X" are ONLINE SERVICES such as aol, msn, gmail, yahoo...but not ISPs such as bellsouth or verizon or the like.

The OTHER odd thing/problem is that the emails that are available in the "To" popup are **FACEBOOK PEOPLE** but I am fairrrrrrly certain that I do NOT have the Facebook sync/email turned on!!

So TWO questions:
    (1) How to I get my legit, existing contacts like "XScott" and "XDad" from my People app and gmail INTO THE POPUP for my Mail app??

(2) How do I get the facebook email addresses OUT OF MY POPUP for the Mail app??

I can live with the facebook popup suggestions, I guess, but REALLY NEED the "XName" email addresses in the popup for the TO field. Makes ZERO SENSE that I have 8 random "XEmail" names while missing the other 20!!?!?

Thoughts!!!?!? THANKS!!

SCOTT

Advertisement
  2. scudder

Hi...

I just FIXED my problem!! Seems that during my recent backup, save, iCal import, export and reimport into Gmail (HAD TO do that for my contacts because I had a Palm Centro before my EVO), FOR SOME REASON, my "email only" contacts I created had the email address in the "Phone - Other" phone number field. Once I moved the email address to the EMAIL FIELD online and sync'ed the phone, ALL my email-only addresses now show up in the "TO" field of the Mail app.

So, I'm happy...hope this might help someone else!!

Scott

3. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I love it when folks answer their own questions. Glad you got it sorted.

scudder likes this.
  4. scudder

It was one of those things that I spent a LONG time trying to figure it out and resorted FINALLY to typing it allllll out...only to go back and the very next thing I tried worked!

5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

LOL. We are all still learning this beast.