Contacts saved on Exchange instead of phone

1. golder

golder Well-Known Member

By default, when I add contacts, they will save to 'Exchange' instead of my phone. How do I change this so that I don't have to switch to Phone everytime I add a contact. If I forget to switch to it Phone, which I have done twice now, I can't seem to find a way to switch those contacts to Phone - How do I do this?

Advertisement
  2. hero_101

hero_101 Well-Known Member

DON'T save on phone, save either to exchange or gmail. I did like you did and one day when the gmail synced I lost all the phone contacts :-O So now I just save to exchange as it is the easiest option for me.
  3. golder

golder Well-Known Member

What is exchange anyway?

I don't even use my Gmail - I only made a GMail account because I was required to, for Android. Although I could prob use it for backup purposes.

Also, How do I change the save location? The only option I can find is 'Save to SIM'.
  4. hero_101

Exchange is MS Exchange, I use my work one, but you can buy an exchange package.

If I were you I would use gmail, just login on the web and make sure you can access it, then in the contacts app, hit menu button and in view say only gmail. Then is only shows gmail and saves to it. the advantage is you can add from PC or phone and if you loose phone the contacts are all on gmail

Exchange is similar but also works with outlook etc
  5. golder

golder Well-Known Member

Okay now you've got me worried.

The rant:
    I don't know what I'm doing when I sync and since syncing works both ways it's always confusing i.e. are my phone contacts being transferred to my GMail? Are my GMail contacts being transferred to my phone? I have no GMail Contacts so will it just copy all my Gmail contacts (of zero people) and transfer them to my phone and delete all the current ones on the phone? Argh I hate the word sync. I just simply want to SAVE my contacts to Gmail without going through this whole syncing process and worrying about what's actually going to happen.

The situation:
    Not exact numbers but it mirrors my phone contacts:
    50 contacts saved on Phone
    5 contacts saved on Exchange
    0 contacts saved on Google

The questions:
    I cannot find a way to transfer the 5 Exchange contacts to my Phone. How do I do this?
    Once I've done this, how can I save all my contacts along with their numbers to my GMail?

Thanks.
  6. hero_101

golder,

I presume you have exchange, but you don't use it.
    Looking at the number of contacts, it is pitifully low so any way should work - In my case I have over 500 contacts, so don't worry about 5 contacts ;-)

Go into your gmail, via a PC, and look at the contacts on gmail, understand how it works.
    Then export your phone and exchange contacts (search for it, I saw a thread on the app name) and put it on the pc.
    Delete all the contacts on phone
    upload contacts into gmail from PC or Manually type it in, whichever is easy
    in your phone in the settings, set the google contacts to sync automatically and in the peoples app make sure in view only Gmail is selected.
    Force a sync in the settings (sync now) and viola your contacts will appear.
    Then in the future when you add contacts, adding from the hero, choose Gmail or if on a PC you can do it via the gmail web interface.

Hope it helps
  7. golder

golder Well-Known Member

Maybe I should post on FML that my phonebook is so small that instead of importing using a csv file, it's probably quicker for me to manually type in all my contacts.

Anyway, I tried the HTC Sync thing (windows contacts) when I upgrade my ROM just a half hour ago and lost all my contracts. Tried to sync but surprise surprise the sync didn't work! It successfully wasted OVER an hour of my time. I used the csv file import thing, synced on my phone with google and it worked. Thank you!

Another question - which I asked in the first post of this thread. When I add a new contact - how do I make it default to Google instead of Exchange?
  8. hero_101

Hey Golder, Indeed, after you spent one hour trying to import the contacts, would have been faster typing from scratch lol!!

Glad you could get it sorted in the end.

I use exchange as default, so not an issue for me, but did you uncheck exchange and phone on the view menu, under the people application? If you do that and save one contact under gmail, it should become persistant I believe, oh and I set for duplicate contacts under view to only exchange, in your case set it to gmail.

Hope it helps
  9. golder

golder Well-Known Member

That worked too. thanks again. You're officially a hero.

on a side note: I hope the android 2.1 hero update comes soon.
  10. Boopolo

Boopolo Well-Known Member

Hi

I am in a similar position, i want to be able to save all my contacts (mainly phone numbers) to gmail but how do i trasnfer them from sim or phone to gmail? it wont let me do it?

when i go into my gmail contacts on pc, i see that all my gmail email addresses are there ut no phone numbers.

thanks
  11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Try this,

Then all your numbers should be synced to google. Log on to google on the pc and they have a tool for finding duplicate contacts, which should help speed up combining contacts you already had saved as email addresses.
  12. Boopolo

when i do the above, the transfer page wth % on it just hangs for a little then it disappears. i go to google contacts on pc and there is nothing there. i go to the syn page and sunc now on contacts and email but i still dont see anyhting on pc contacts of my phone numbers, only see email adds
  13. Xyro

Sounds like it's not actually moving any contacts =/ If you go to the contact list, press menu, then view and untick everything but google, are there any in your list?

I did try it myself by making a contact on my SIM and it coppied to google fine :S
  14. Boopolo

yeah there are, there are all my gmail email addresses. but none of my phone numbers from my sim has copied over.
  15. Xyro

Are all your contacts saved as sim or phone? If they're phone contacts, then an app called 'ExportContacts' can export them as a .csv which can be uploaded to gmail. If they're SIM contacts it doesnt seem to work on them, so I'm out of ideas. Don't see why import option is not working though =/
  16. Boopolo

I'll start again, im new at this so may have worded it wrong

I had all my numbers on sim card
    i transfered them to phone so i had double contacts (phone and sim) as was going to delete sim contacts after.
    then i found out about sync to gmail to back up so i tried to do that.

so if it did work, am i supposed to see all my sim contact numbers in my contact list within gmail?

am i trying to do somehting not what you guys are talking about??:confused:
    if so that would be rather embarrassing! haha
  17. Xyro

Yeah, once you get it working all your numbers will show up on gmail. The only type of contact that syncs automaticlaly is the 'Google' variety, not 'Sim' or 'Phone' as those two aren't linked to your google account. So just like you made Phone coppies of your Sim contacts before, you need to make google coppies of them now. (Then you can get rid of the other two coppies if you want).

If you have 'Phone' versions of all your contacts like you say, the easiest way I know of to do this is to with the app I mentioned in my last post. It exports all your Phone contacts into a .csv file that can be uploaded to gmail, and then all the contacts will apear on the phone the next time you turn on the internet.
  18. Boopolo

Ah i see.

so what i was trying to do, copy sim to google was correct?
    however it is not working for me so u recommend 'ExportContacts'
    then do the csv thing!.

thanks for your help! i wonder why it doesnt work for me
  19. Xyro

Yeah, you had it right, weird isn't it? :confused:

Lets just hope the .csv works! :p Once you run ExportContacts, put the file on your computer, go to gmail contacts and hit import. :)
  20. Boopolo

sigh!
    i cannot find the app on the market place, i even scanned in the barcode but no luck.
    could you possibly give me a direct link to the file i can save to pc then install it that way via usb?
    thanks

ps. why does nothing work on my phone??
  21. Xyro

The file you need is 'androidapp.expcontacts.apk'. Put it into google and you should find it :)

What you can find in the market seems to very depending on country =/