Contacts "Sort" option in 2.1General

Last Updated:

1. jhug

jhug Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello All:

There were some valid complaints in 1.5 that you could only see your contacts sorted by first name. The only way around this was to re-enter all the info - backwards. (Smith John instead of John Smith)

I just noticed in 2.1 that in contact "Edit" mode if you tap the name field, there is a drop-down to select the "display name" (either firstname lastname or lastname firstname).

JF

Advertisement
    karib, Shnuddy and OfTheDamned like this.
  2. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

Love this, this is really the best way to make a list. Because now it's so flexible. iPhone contact list has nothing on this and forces the last name sorting, which is fine, but I much prefer this way, HTC really put it a step up, Apple is lame to be suing them lol.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Nice find. You have just made a lot of people very happy.

4. dgould

dgould Member

It a shame I still have to go through each one to change them all.

5. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

Indeed. Since switching to the Eris I became accustomed to the droid way of doing things, including being on a first name basis with everyone. It took me a long time to get used to after years of my Outlook contacts being where everyone is safe. Wanna change the ROM? No problem, just sync when done. Last name, first name, middle initial, just the way it has been done since alphabetizing was invented. I saw no reason to change. Did it bother me that my wife's name is Beth and I had to scroll to the "M's" just to send her a text? Nope, that was just the way things were done. So changing to google contacts with the informal emphasis on first names was a rude shock to me. Old dogs, new tricks and all that. But I got used to it. Even to the point of discovering that it was easier since the people I text or call the most are people generally on a first name basis. But there were still those that it didn't work for. Certain businesses, people I know by their last name, etc. Now I have the best of both systems. Good find indeed.

Choice! That's one of the reasons I moved to Android. That and Windows Mobile was boring me, Mobile 6.xx was pretty much older versions prettied up. I love my Eris, and when I decide I want something a little more powerful, it's likely (probable?) it will be a new Android phone. But I have quite a few months before that decision can be made! LOL. I'm a convert.

I wanted the iPhone, drooled over it, coveted it. Just not enough to go back to the Hell that was AT&T. (I was a customer for years until billing issues drove me out in 2000) Now I have no desire for one. It's not nearly as capable as the Eris and other Android handsets.

6. nicorellius

nicorellius Member

The problem is, after synching, they all go in last name first, so changing all the contacts will take forever. Any way to change them all at once?

7. pjk33

pjk33 New Member

Samsung Fascinate - Can't do what you say on this phone. I open the contacts, choose a contact, touch menu, touch edit and can't find a way to have it give me a choice to sort by last name... Does this actually work on other phones?

8. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The Eris is an HTC Sense based phone, and vanilla Android can be changed to display last name first as well. You may want to ask this is the Fascinate forums.