contacts?Support

Last Updated:

1. cij1916

cij1916 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my Hero, when I saved a contact, I saved it as a google contact then I'd choose what group to put it in. I don't have that option now, if I choose google it throws the contacts who knows where, if I choose phone contact it gives me 3 options of groups but not the group I. Created.

Advertisement
  2. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

Congratulations! You have discovered one of the most complained-about "features" of the Samsung Galaxy S family, which has spawned multiple threads on multiple forums.

The problem is that Samsung built its own Contacts app and installed it in lieu of the stock Android Contacts app, and in the process destroyed part of the Android/Google functionality. You are correct, this app does not display the groups assigned to contacts within Gmail. (I believe the group assignment is downloaded, but the app does nothing with it.) The "groups" that Samsung gives you have nothing to do with Google's Gmail contact groups.

You cannot uninstall the brain-dead Samsung app, but you can load a third-party app to use instead. Try Contacts Evolved, free in the Market. It is a little buggy, but far better in this regard than the fundamentally broken Samsung app. In Contacts Evolved, the contact groups are segregated into separate tabs.

3. cij1916

Well that sucks...so if I enter the contact into my phone, it doesn't sync with google at all? even as a google contact?

4. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

Not true. I synced my Epic to my Google contacts, and all the groups were keep in tact. I now can tap on contacts, choose groups, and there they all are!!

5. cij1916

That's not the problem...try going the other way...create a contact on your phone and it doesn't sync it to google, I created a special group called phone, and when i create a contact, im not given the option to put it in that group or any other group...and since i only view "phone" contacts, i didn't ssee the 2 #s I saved

6. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it yet, but the manual says you can. Page 96

Groups
    This feature allows you to add a new or existing contact to a call group. This group can be one of the already present groups (Family, Friends, or Work) or a user- created group.
    To create a new group:
    1. Press and tap > Groups. 2. If prompted, select a type (Phone, Google,
    Corporate, etc.).
    3. Press and tap Create.
    4. Tap the Group field, and enter a name for the new group.
    5. Tap Ringtone and select a ringtone for the group.
    6. Tap Save to store the newly created group. To add an existing contact to a current group:
    1. Press and tap > Groups > [type] (if prompted) > [name of group].
    2. Tap Add member.

7. cij1916

Far as I see, that doesn't work...after I tell it it's a google contact, you don't get the option to add it to any group

8. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

None of the Samsung Android phones can do that unfortunately; I always hav had @contacts to do that with...

9. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

This worked for me. I entered a new contact via the phone, and you're right, you can not assign that contact to a group. But what you can do, is then go to your contacts online, I did it in Goggle voice, the contacts are easier to edit there, and then I assigned it to a group. When I went back to the phone and synced, the new contact was now assigned to that group.

10. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

You are right! I am pretty sure that didn't work on my Vibrant, but it works here. It just takes one more key press on the Google category to show is contacts grouped.

Thank you.:)

11. brandonmerriwe

brandonmerriwe New Member

No No No all you have to do to by pass this is when in your contac menu tap the menu you key select more select import/export then select export to sd card wait for the process to complete then repeat the same steps but this time select import from sd card then select to phone now it will have all your gmail contacts on the phone too at which point you can assign them to groups ..to assign contact to groups select groups under contacts find the group you want to assign members too and tap add member after you add a member or members to the selected group in the future to add members you will need to select the group and tap the menu key for the option to add members to the group :eek: