Contemplating the Fascinate or Continuum - upgrading from Eris

Last Updated:

1. shaylih

shaylih Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know several of you have moved from the Eris over to the Fascinate. I have a rooted eris running 2.2 and lately have been having some odd problems. Last week I stopped receiving text messages and had to switch to the stock rom before going into any custom rom to get them to reactivate. Yesterday I had a flat tire and kept getting force closes on every app when I was trying to navigate to tire kingdom. Yesterday seeing it fail in an emergency was the last straw. I've been making excuses for the Eris for months now trying to says it's just as good as my husband's moto droid. Don't even get me started on the lag on Angry birds..... So anyway, I am eligible for my $100 upgrade credit and am considering the Fascinate or the Continuum.

I

Advertisement
  2. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The Fascinate is a great phone. Best Buy will be offering it for $1 on Black Friday too.

As far as the signal and GPS issues go, there is an update coming so those shouldn't even be an issue before long.

4. shaylih

I saw the Best Buy promo, but I'll be visiting my parents who I haven't seen in a year and would rather spend my time enjoying them than fighting the crowds at Best Buy :)
    Nitsuj, why do you think the Fascinate is the clear winner? And if I get the Fascinate I'd definitely have interest in a pink theme :)

5. OfTheDamned

While I can't speak for Nitsuj, I think it is the winner because of the screen. I know the continuum has the little ticker screen at the bottom, which is a neat feature, but the screen is much smaller than the Fascinate's and the phone is just about the same size. Why have a large phone with a smaller screen?

6. nitsuj17

screen size :D

personally i see the sc turning into a kin type failure unless verizon shoves it down ur throat like the droid 1. but thats my $.02

7. OfTheDamned

I wouldn't go THAT far. The Kin was a pretty big failure. I don't see it getting quite the support that the other phones have though.

8. nitsuj17

ok, well nothing will top the kin :eek:

but if this sells over 60k color me shocked

9. shaylih

Understood, lack of developer support is my fear with the Continuum too. Looks like I'll be picking up the Fascinate on Saturday!

10. OfTheDamned

Congrats and good choice. ;)

11. miyooper

miyooper Well-Known Member

I find the GPS to be accurate once it locks on. Usually takes about 30-60 seconds using it for the first time that day. Once it does I haven't had any problems with it losing position. I've been able to use MY Tracks walking the woods of Northern Wisconsin and as long as I'm getting a signal its been very accurate. Helped when I got turned around in a swamp area :)

12. tschecter

tschecter Well-Known Member

sounds like you are joining the fascinate crowd. :) as far as girly themes- not sure quite what you mean by theme- I use launcher pro and just change things as I like to be as girly as I want, and have gone between some very girly wallpapers, to my yarns, to plain black, etc... and for icons, the nicest (and girliest imo) I have found are kaessa's handwritten icons. but mqaybe you are talking about something like adw or panda home themes?

13. nitsuj17

14. skipster

skipster Well-Known Member

Good to hear you've made a choice.... IMHO, size matters LOL!!! I have the SF, and have played with the SC a little. The SC just comes across as a nifty 'kid' phone to me, needing custom code to drive the ticker, so not likely to get any Dev-love. Having fallen for the flash of niche devices before, I think the SF is the best choice available right now.

15. shaylih

16. nitsuj17

looks like a good theme....once i post the beta for engraved matted blues ill hop on this and port it on over :)

shaylih likes this.
  17. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I admit I like the darker pinks, its like when the NFL guys all wear the dark pink in October. The shades in the 2 above links would be pretty...pretty. Seriously, I actually have the dark pink scribble as my bootanimation, that dark pink is really nice

18. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

That bright pink is a bit much, but I will admit that I'd like a matte pink or purple.

Shaylih, I think you'll be happy with the Fascinate... it's a beautiful phone to work with and theme (once you get rid of the TouchWiz stuff). :D

19. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I'd say if you have to get a phone right now, grab the Fascinate! It's an all around good device, and as you've heard and seen, the Screen is just Beautiful! However, there are so many phones coming out in the next 2 months that if you tried to count em, you's prob get dizzy! The addition of LTE should also bring some serious hot new Devices in the first quarter of 2011! But if I had to choose any one Device out of the pack of Android devices on big red right now, I'd have to give the nod to the Samsung Fascinate.

20. nitsuj17

yeah ill probably do a pink and then purple port...not apps or anything just framework, so theres a few new colors out there.

i may experiment and theme the mb images pink instead of blue just to see how that looks...unless you know of a revo/mb type theme like that already?

that d be a lot easier :D

21. nitsuj17

i started porting a purple one from the og droid

[​IMG]

22. shaylih

Liking! I'm planning on picking up my Fascinate at lunch. Will the text boxes and click boxes turn purple too?

23. nitsuj17

it was just a quick start...obviously theres a lot more to be done to be port it all completely (or as much as possible) also i gotta join droidforums to pm the creator just to give him a heads up i was planning on porting it...thats not usually an issue though as long as you give full credit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry for the question a little off current topic (purple things).
    How does push emails work in SF? I saw some user reviews that complain the push emails don't work to auto sync and are not even refreshing manually unless the phone is rebooted. Is that true? There are some reports on texting issues too. So I am contemplating D2 vs SF because email is important part of my smart-phone.

25. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member

Nice!