Content Management System

1. jimmcdonagh

jimmcdonagh Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I've recently started programming my first android app in eclipse using java and xml and I'm relatively new to both languages.

My App will contain mostly static information for students in university which I plan to simply save as text in the xml itself but the clients wish to have a few pages on the app with content that they will be able to change regularly without having to look at or understand any code.

Basically what I'm looking to do is have a basic content management system that can only be accessed by the client and they can use it easily enough to change the content of those specific pages.

Any help would be great on this thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

So will all of these clients' changes need to be reflected on all clients? Also, what kind of help do you want? You haven't really asked a question.
  3. jimmcdonagh

jimmcdonagh Member

Sorry, I didn't really make that clear. what I need help with is how I would actually go about implementing a system where the clients could edit the text in (for example) a textview on one of the xml layouts.

for the sake of simplicity, its safe to assume there would only be one client editing it.
  4. jonbonazza

Just make a text box that the user can type in and then use something like the Xml class and the XmlSerializer and XmlPullparser classes to update the xml file accordingly.
  5. jimmcdonagh

jimmcdonagh Member

Sorry I misunderstood your question. By client, i meant the person who has requested the app be developed. So I need to know how to set up a system where one person can manage the content and when they change the content, anyone who has downloaded the app will be now see the new content in place of the old.
    Thanks for your help so far. apologies for the confusion.
  6. jonbonazza

Oh, well in that case, it's probably a bit out of your league (no offense). Not only would you need to implement a client application for the admin's (your client) device, and the client application for a general users' devices, you would also need a backend server running some software to receive the updates from the admin and broadcast them to all other clients.
  7. jimmcdonagh

jimmcdonagh Member

Ok, that's unfortunate

Any idea if this would be possible:

If i was to create a very basic web page that only consisted of a paragraph of text and bellow it, a text input space.

So then this admin could edit the text on the web page by simply writing in the new desired text and uploading it.

then would it be possible to have the app read this information from the web page and save that as the string it would show.

So to change whats on the app, the admin would just have to go to this site type the new text and click upload.

any idea if that's possible or would that require a bit more experience than i have still?

Thanks for your help so far! It's greatly appreciated!
  8. jonbonazza

Whether the admin enters the text in an app or on a web page is irrelevant. No matter the means, you first need to first somehow receive this information and then broadcast it to all of the users. You can't just "read the information" as it doesn't work like that.