Continual rebooting?Support

Last Updated:

1. martinp

martinp Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen an odd problem with new (new) DHD and i thought i'd ask a rambling question in the hope anyone has seen something similar.

Occasionally my phone decides to reboot itself..and once its started to do this it will keep rebooting until i either take the battery out, or plug it into a charger.

It seems to be triggered by me waking the phone (pressing the button on the top) and rather than springing back to life starts to boot. OK that probably meant that it had shut itself down while it was in my pocket, but once this has happened the phone will reboot...stay around for a few seconds...then reboot again.

This has only happened to me when i tried to wake the phone while i was on the London underground...so obviously it didn't have a signal. But that doesn't explain why it would then keep shutting itself down. (and would continue in this odd state long after i was back above ground)

Instinctively it feels like either an app didn't like being in a situation where it didn't have a signal, or something during the boot process would get confused ... then there'd be a crash..then on boot it would try to start something with an odd current state.

OK i'm rambling because i don't (yet) know enough about Android to debug whats going on. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Advertisement
  2. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

perhaps the battery? i mean when you are underground, the app runs the battery out and then when you switch the phone on, it doesnt have enough battery which is probably why its unable to boot up completely? till you plug it into a charger (or rather plug the charger into it!)...

3. martinp

The battery seemed to have a good charge still. I tested that by just taking the battery out...then putting it in again and restarting it...and it last quite happily for a few hours

4. anandv76

what kind of apps do you have installed? i dont think an app would/could cause that but...do you have fast boot enabled?

5. martinp

Theres nothing particularly special app-wise, just a wikipedia reader, iphone style keyboard and a solitaire app.

Yes i had fast boot enabled, but i've just disabled it to see if things get any better.

Not that it helps explain it, but i've now had the phone misbehave while it had a perfectly good signal...so i think its behaviour on the tube was just a coincidence.

6. anandv76

that is indeed strange, and instead of fiddling around much i would suggest you take it to the retailer as its within warranty.

7. reppie

reppie New Member

mine has been rebooting and occasionally turning off completely requiring me to take the battery out. am getting it replaced... not helpful when your alarms don't go off and you are two hours late for work because you phone has decided to die in the middle of the night

8. martinp

Well, oddly the last time it happened i opened it up, removed everything and put it all back together (after blowing on all the contacts to make sure there wasn't any dust in there)....and its last three days without issue.

So i'm not sure whether i just had a dodgy connection with the SD card or something which, after a bit of a jolt, would trigger a shutdown (then during a reboot would still be a bit off)

If it happens again its off back to the shop, but so far so good....