• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

contract or pay as you go?

Elwood42

Jul 20, 2010
I can't decide if I want to get a pay as you go deal or acontract. I don't think I use my phone anywhere near enough to get a contract, but then I see pay as you go charge 20p per mb for internet browsing via GPRS.

I'm wondering is that over the top? How many mb's do you reckon you use on GPRS browsing too? I don't want to go buy the phone and sim card to find I'd be better off with a contract!

I guess it kind of depends on what you're going to be doing with the phone.

I'm on the internet on my phone much more than I'd ever thought I would be - especially considering I have a netbook and computer for me to use at home. I carry it with me and stream music while I'm doing dishes or other housework (instead of blasting my music like I'd really like to do...grrr to the 'rents). I got the Kindle app (because I have it for my PC) and I go outside and read books in the sun. I haven't gotten into the games so much because I tend to be obsessive lol.

I go out driving a lot - all my friends are in another town - and so I can pull up Google Maps or Google Navigation. I've used the yellow pages to look stuff up while I'm on the road (showing off my awesome android power while mom had a dumbphone ;)). More often than not I'm using at least 1/2 my 500mb a month - something to think about?

Don't forget (well maybe this only applies to Canada?) that not only are you going to be using your mb on a pay as you go but you could be using actual airtime! I don't talk a lot but I use my phone a ton during the day and streaming music and connecting to the network uses up my airtime. (Unless I am wrong about that in which case totally ignore this)

I text almost all of my friends (hey its long distance otherwise!) so I've had to buy unlimited texting.

I'd have to say it depends on what you're going to be using it for. Are you out of the house a lot? Away from home on trips? Are you more of a homebody? Do you have a wifi network at home? What about features like caller ID and voicemail? Are you a talker or texter?

Upvote 0
I'm in the UK and was thinking to go with asda mobile as they do agood flat rate of 8p per minute and 6p or something per text.

I do have wifi at home, dont go out too much though would like to, and i may use it at work, but then i think work has wifi/i can just use my works pc to browse the web as I am doing now.

Im really not sure if I should get a contract or not, I'm just unable to work it out, and the cheapest I've found for the Desire (The phone I'm going to get) is about

Upvote 0
That's not bad at all for internet usage, was that a six month fee that was taken out, or something you could choose when to pay for?

I assume "six months" wasn't six months worth, but a set amount of mb's?

pay as you go is sounding by far the best option so far, I just worry on internet usage fees. I can always get a contract too if I become mr social, haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones