Contract to Non Contract?

Last Updated:

1. photosteve212

photosteve212 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I just purchased a subsidized N1 yesterday for $179.

I also just signed up for Even More plan for 2 years.

However, I think I've changed my mind and would like to sign up for a non-contract plan, such as the Even More Plus.

According to T-Mobile, I can change my plan within 14 days at no charge.

This is fine.

According to Google's website and extensive review online, I should be able to keep my N1 and pay an ETF of $150. It even say so in the Terms of Sales page: "If you activate a new line of service with T-Mobile, your Equipment Recovery Fee will be $150 USD if you cancel or downgrade your service plan within 120 days of activation."

T-Mobile says I would have to pay the full price of the phone. HTC says the same thing.

Why? I have no problem paying the $150, since its in the contract, but I cannot see why I should pay the full amount of the phone if it is not listed in any documentation that I can find. Can anyone share their experience? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. inspiron41

inspiron41 Well-Known Member

dunno. that's why i paid full price to avoid the whole contract mess.

anyhow, let us know what happens

3. photosteve212

photosteve212 New Member This Topic's Starter

A Google customer service person (didn't know there were live people, but I was transfered to one), thought that it looks like I would have to pay the $150 ETF. He then said, "let me double check," and put me on hold, and said I might have to pay the full price.

I mentioned that this is not stated any where, and he agreed, but placed an email somewhere to get a "more definitive" answer. I guess I'm wondering what could be more definitive than the Terms of Sale: "If you activate a new line of service with T-Mobile, your Equipment Recovery Fee will be $150 USD if you cancel or downgrade your service plan within 120 days of activation."

He said this should up to three days (!) to hear back. In the mean time, I'm not opening my box until I get an answer.

Steve