• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Control Which Apps and How Often to Fetch Data

SyberianPuppy

Jan 21, 2011
Hey everyone,

Just upgraded from HTC Evo 3D. On my EVO, I was able to choose exactly which apps could fetch data and how often, such as news updating every hour, gmail checking for emails every 30 minutes, Facebook updating every hour, weather every hour, etc etc. I can't seem to find that on the photon. Anyone have any idea?

Just like on your Evo you open the app you want and then click your menu button to open up the "settings" selection tab. Then set it how you want it. For instance on Facebook when you click on settings the first choice is refresh interval which can be set to 30min, 1, 2, 4hours, or never.

Unfortunately, the only thing this doesnt apply for is Google. I dont know why that is since everything else is changeable. So right now you have to assume your gmail account is checking every 30 min or so. Hopefully the first update will fix this.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Push means the data is "pushed" to your phone, instead of the phone going and checking. This eliminates any unnecessary data or power usage for those times where there is nothing to be received. It also allows for the information to be received in real time as opposed to what ever frequency was pre-set.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones