Control Which Apps and How Often to Fetch DataGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SyberianPuppy

SyberianPuppy Member

Hey everyone,

Just upgraded from HTC Evo 3D. On my EVO, I was able to choose exactly which apps could fetch data and how often, such as news updating every hour, gmail checking for emails every 30 minutes, Facebook updating every hour, weather every hour, etc etc. I can't seem to find that on the photon. Anyone have any idea?

Advertisement
  2. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member

Just like on your Evo you open the app you want and then click your menu button to open up the "settings" selection tab. Then set it how you want it. For instance on Facebook when you click on settings the first choice is refresh interval which can be set to 30min, 1, 2, 4hours, or never.

Unfortunately, the only thing this doesnt apply for is Google. I dont know why that is since everything else is changeable. So right now you have to assume your gmail account is checking every 30 min or so. Hopefully the first update will fix this.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  3. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

The one thing you cant seem to change (Gmail is push, so no need to change this anyway) is the Social Networking app/widget and the Weather widget. I hope that means their data is being pushed as well.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. SyberianPuppy

SyberianPuppy Member

Why is push best? Does push use the least data? I had email and a few thing on push, but figured that the fact that it was notifying me the SECOND something happened meant it was ALWAYS checking, so it used the most data.
  5. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

Push means the data is "pushed" to your phone, instead of the phone going and checking. This eliminates any unnecessary data or power usage for those times where there is nothing to be received. It also allows for the information to be received in real time as opposed to what ever frequency was pre-set.
  6. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

Can't you change this in the phone/android settings menu in "Accounts"?