• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Controlling the "Power On" Button - phone powers on too easily

Missing_Link

May 8, 2010
Hi all,

One big problem I've noticed is that when you need to have your phone switched off (e.g. on an aircraft, etc.) it's all too easy for the phone to switch itself on whilst in your pocket - the "power on" button just needs the slightest tap and then it springs into life.

I know whilst on a plane I could pre-set it to in-flight mode before powering it off, but that's not the point. Like when powering the phone off, there is a delay and a set of menu options. I'd like something similar for powering the phone on - programmable delay and/or combination of pressing say home and the "power on" button.

Does anyone know of an app or some code I could run to alter the way the phone behaves ?. Not sure if the only way to add this functionality is part of a flash update as it needs to survive a power off, etc.

Any ideas please guys ?

Cheers.

Gel case I used to use made it a lot more difficult to accidentally switch the phone on. Not sure that's what you want to hear though.

To be honest I've never had this problem and my phone is always in my pocket. Now both the trackpad and power button switch mine on I still have no issues.

Upvote 0
This issue is posted, without a remedy, in many forums around, including the HTC support forums.

Also, it seems to be a bit different from Desire to Desire, with some chiming in that theirs is more indented or less sensitive than they'd like, etc. A few mention Airplane mode, etc.

As mentioned above, my Eris powered on a few times in my jacket pocket, so I took care of that by using Airplane mode, which worked for me the few times I would have otherwise needed to carry it turned off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones