Convert Droid-X dock station to HTC incredible dock, is it possible?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. mannydroid

mannydroid Member This Topic's Starter

I would like to know the opinion of someone who has a Droid-X multimedia station and a HTC incredible available if you think that if removing the HDMI connector from the Droid-x dock, the same could be used by an HTC Incredible.
    As far I see in the pictures, the micro USB connector is the same orientation, and in both phones is located in the bottom left.

I took a look on the Droid 1 dock station, but the connector is upside down and in the top left. It would required a lot of work inside, so I was wondering if using the Droid-X dock would be easier.

I appreciate your input.

Manny

Advertisement
  2. tuanster1119

tuanster1119 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it would be possible, but it probably wouldn't look very pretty.

3. jamesk84

jamesk84 Well-Known Member

Let me check it out for you, I can take a look at the phones side by side and check the aliment. It will have to be tomorrow until I can tell you if the dock will line up.

mannydroid likes this.
  4. mannydroid

Great! Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I need :)

5. jamesk84

With them side by side they look pretty close. See picture Ill know better tomorrow when I have my dock in hand and I can align them.

I was wondering with the hdmi connection taken off wouldn't the dock only serve to charge the phone?

Attached Files:

mannydroid likes this.
  6. mannydroid

Thanks a lot for the picture!
    I wonder if once the micro usb ports are aligned if the Incredible is still shorter or longer at the other end (the top of the phones). If same size or still shorter, I think I will give a shot and buy a Droid-X and try to modify it to use it with the Incredible. If it is longer at the top once aligned, then it will not work just removing the HDMI connector.

Since you have a dock and both phones, it still would be nice if you can check in your opinion if the HDMI connector wasn't there if the Incredible would fit in the dock to charge.

And yes, it would only charge the phone (it would loose the dedicated HDMI), but I am planning to use with a incredible only anyways.

Thanks again for your help.

7. jamesk84

That pic is taken with the tops aligned they were by eye dead on. I'll get you some pics tomorrow of the incredible resting on the dock.

mannydroid likes this.
  8. jamesk84

Alright I have the answer, I think this can be done.

The alignment is dead on, in one of these pictures I have is seeded as much as I could, if not for the hdmi connection it would work.

The first time I did it the plug was just a little bit off, I got it to work by taking the back off of the incredible. I know this is not a very good solution for everyday use. However ther is a post on the dock that protrudes a bit into the cradle and I think that is you were able to make that flush you would not have a problem.

Hope this help let me know if you have anymore questions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mannydroid likes this.
  9. mannydroid

Wow, that's great! Exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much for your time taking the pictures etc. It was very helpful :)

I think this answer all my questions, now I just have to put my hands in one Dock!

Thanks a lot again!

10. jamesk84

No problem glad I had the resources to help you out,

mannydroid likes this.
  11. AlphaKilo

AlphaKilo New Member

I know this is an old thread. I have been looking for the same docking solution. I wanted to find out if this dock worked out and if you had any problems making it. If you didn't try this, did you find a new dock that did work?

Thanks