"Convert" phone contacts to Google contacts?Support

Last Updated: 2013-10-26 04:00:58
  1. Trollatoppan

Trollatoppan Well-Known Member

More than half of my contacts are saved as phone contacts. How can I change/convert them so they are all saved as Google contacts?

Advertisement
  2. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

There is an app that does it well, but I've forgotten the name. It worked for me. If you do a forum search, it'll be there somewhere.
  3. Trollatoppan

I have searched the forum. Can't find any similar topics.
    Well since I don't know the name of the app, its kinda hard to search for it.
  4. jimeller

I think its called contactsync or something. Try searching the market.
  5. Trollatoppan

Found it on Market. So fix that. Thanks.

Can I sync my Google contacts on the phone with my on-line Google account?
    (from my phone to the Gmail account - looks like it is only syncing from Gmail to the phone.).
  6. jimeller

Yeah once you have converted your contacts to google contacts, you can sync them with gmail and never have to worry about losing them.
  7. Trollatoppan

Yes but how is it done? How do I sync from my phone to gmail? (and not the other way around).
  8. jimeller

I think you just log into gmail or use htc sync.

Edit: you can sync via the sync option in your menu.
  9. danijelsh

danijelsh Active Member

jimeller, i used contactsync to convert phone contacts to google type, and now when i want to sync, there is nothing on gmail (the contacts should appear there, right?). syncing always crashes and force closes. doesn't matter if i try auto-sync or manual. do you have any advice on how to solve this? maybe it crashes because i have around 380 contacs? is there an app that "pushes" or "forces" the synchronization with gmail account?

edit: it appears that it managed to synchronize only one contact, and the funny thing is - the one starting with letter N... :)

i tried restarting the phone, but it's still the same. i'll just leave it locked with wi-fi on (wi-fi policy is on never sleep) for a while, and see what happens after 15 minutes or so...
  10. Inflatablewoman

Inflatablewoman New Member

I've had the same problem as above. Here is how I fixed it:

If you want to convert all contacts on your phone to "google" contacts. Install the
    free application "ExportContacts". Run it and create a CSV on your SD-Disk. Delete
    all the contacts on your phone. Now edit the CSV in Excel or OpenOffice Calc and
    clear all the "notes". Go to your googlemail account contacts and import the csv
    file. Now go to your Hero and sync with google contacts. All your contacts are now
    back and will sync correctly without crashing. Hope this helps.
  11. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Instead you can start worrying about google publishing all of your contact information for the entire world to see. Thanks, google :mad:
  12. westkc3

westkc3 Well-Known Member

How real is the security concern and what has Google done to address it? Is the vulnerability as great or greater than on-line banking? If I use Hide My Life, does that effectively hide the blocked entries from the sync?
  13. daveybaby

Its not a vulnerability w.r.t. people hacking your accounts or whatever, it's that google have taken data that has long been private (who you email and how often) and made that data public without warning and without asking. For most people (me included) this isnt going to cause any actual problems. For some people it can significantly mess up their lives.

I have a friend who recently got screwed by facebook in this way, she had really good reasons for wanting her profile completely hidden, and it was completely hidden, so no worries. Suddenly without warning its been made public along with her friends list. Its caused her major problems none of which are her fault.

These companies seem to be of the opinion that we dont need privacy unless we're doing something wrong. Actually we need privacy because sometimes there are real arseholes out there that we need protecting from. Case in point: why doesnt everyone publish their bank & credit card details on the internet? Do they have something to hide?

It's a trust issue. Google have just shown that you cant trust them with your personal data. Not gonna be porting my contact list over to gmail any time soon.
  14. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member

Sorry, there was plenty of warning of what Facebook were about too do, and when she first logged on, she was presented with the options. Everyone was. Clearly she clicked the wrong one..
  15. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Could you please provide your source of this information?
  16. ih77

ih77 Member

And a source for this comment also please? I don't want my contact list in gmail/google made public, has this happened elsewhere?

Are you talking about the Google Buzz issue which was resolved within days of launch and only affected users who knowingly signed up to it?
  17. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Save your phone contacts to Outlook, then import them to Google.. and sync ..Bish
  18. daveybaby

How do you completely hide your profile from everyone except your friends? How do you stop your friends list being public? You used to be able to keep these things private, now you quite simply cannot. Not a big deal for 99.99% of us, quite a big deal for some people.

A few articles, admittedly all from the same source, but if you want more i'm sure you could (irony alert) google for them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/google_buzz_privacy/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/12/google_buzz_tweaks_tinnitus/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/07/schmidt_on_privacy/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/16/google_buzz_security_bug/

Especially noteworthy is the schmidt on privacy one. It's the same old 'if you want privacy, you must be doing something wrong' crap that zuckerberg (facebook CEO) has been spouting recently. Neglecting, of course, the possibility that it's because the world is full of stalkers, bigots, psychos and thieves. And marketing executives. If we want privacy, it's because somebody else is doing something wrong.

I'm not saying dont use facebook or google (i use them all the time)... just be careful about what information you let them (and thus their clients) have access to.

Edit: Good example of why this is important to some people.
    http://fugitivus.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/****-you-google/
  19. mred2000

mred2000 Member

Yes... you can...

Account>Privacy Settings>View Settings (brings up the old school editor)

...then edit...
  20. daveybaby

Heh, 4 months ago, you couldnt. Facebook got forced to backtrack a bit since then, you may recall reading about it in the news.
  21. rick12

rick12 Member

Today I converted my Phone contacts to Google contacts by using the menu option to export a vcf (vcard) file to the SD card, deleting all contacts on the phone (after checking to be sure the vcf file was indeed on the SD card!), and importing the contact back under the main gmail account (not as phone contacts). They imported pretty well. The odd thing was that, when I checked them online, not all that were on the phone showed up in GMail. I added some back, and when I looked at my phone, I then had double of those. Haven't figured that out yet. But the conversion was much easier than what I've read in Android forums.
  22. Kwex

Kwex New Member

I resolved this problem by exporting my phone contacts (not google contacts) to the SD Card. I then re-imported them to my Google Contacts ... after choosing the import "one vCard" option. With this, you'd expect your contacts to be duplicated. Luckily, you can tell your phone to just show your google contacts. To do this, just go to "People">"View" (press the menu button to access more options) then untick the checkbox that says you should show contacts from "phone" and bingo, you are good to go!
  23. JayinToronto

JayinToronto Member

Sorry for the noob question but references to SD are strictly to an external card,?
  24. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Correct. The 'internal memory' is the name used to refer to the phone's built in memory.
  25. Ryan95i4

Ryan95i4 Member

This is what I did, worked perfectly... contactsyn wasnt compatible with my phone (incredible), but found this thread with a google search