Converted from Blackberry to Droid Pro

1. grandamn

grandamn Member

When I was looking at switching I didn't find some specific topics that were important to me. I decided I might as well write about my experience so far for those still using a Blackberry.

I've been a blackberry user for almost 10 years and never thought I would switch. I own my own business and this is what I did to save a nice amount of money

From---->To
    MS Exchange -----Google Apps Business
    Verizon Corporate Email--------Regular Data Plan
    MS Access---------Sugar Sync

this ended up saving me over $1,000 a year. I first switched to the Thunderbolt but that was more of a small computer that made phone calls. When I switched from the thunderbolt to the pro I realized I can write an email 10x faster. Using the speach to text is not practicle especially when in waiting rooms and elevators.

File Sync
    Sugar Sync syncs folders to your SD card on the Android and across multiple computers for instant access. You can use Sugar sync on the BB but you have to download each file. The Google docs app does let you edit Google docs but will not let you download files to send to HP Print for a FedEx Office print. You can go to docs on the web and download but then it doesnt sync.

Another great feature is assigning apps to open up files. I cant even due this on my Ipad much less the Blackberry. I have AutoCADws installed on my Droid Pro. I can click on a file in SugarSync and open it up directly with AutoCADws or Sketchbook. The file doesn't even need to be on the AutoCADws server.

Email Sync
    Gmail syncs Contacts, groups, calendars, and email sub-folders to the android. I downloaded an app called Google Tasks Organizer to synchronize my tasks to my phone. The one thing I didn't try to search for was syncing notes. I moved my domain and email addresses to Google Apps and wha la, no more need for Microsoft Exchange and Verizon Wireless $50/month corporate data plan. You can also download a Google Apps application that syncs with Outlook if your an Outlook Junkie.

What I'm up to now
    Currently I'm using Android App Creator to make a custom app for my business to track mileage, project status, finances, and client notes. Every phone has a million apps for this but I'm really happy I can tailor an app to the specific needs of my company and industry.

Ill post another update in time on how switching from the Blackberry to the Droid helped my business.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome man. I think this is exactly what Motorola and Google were shooting for with the Pro. I had a few BB's back in the day and while you could do quite a bit with them, having the combination of a full keyboard and touchscreen opens up all kinds of optoins. Then add all the crazy stuff Google is coming up with and you're golden.

Well done sir.