• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Converting a Rhyme

oblivion_uk

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
I have an old HTC Rhyme that my wife used before upgrading to an LG a couple of years ago.

Rather than leave it to gather dust in a drawer, I thought I could maybe I could use it for something. Like maybe a bluetooth MP3 player...

So I can do that. Not difficult -- a decent-sized memory card and a pair of bluetooth headphones and it's done. Add VLC to the equation so I can do playlists and who needs an iPod anyway? ;)

Thing is, it takes a while to start up because it's got an unregistered SIM in it and it thinks it wants to be a phone. (It's also locked to a network, which might or might not be relevant.)

So is there any way to make it JUST be an MP3 player? Or at least make it bypass all the phone-ish stuff it thinks it has to do while it's booting up?

If I try to root it (not something I have any experience in at all) will that help?

Am I wasting my time? ;)

Thanks, but unfortunately flight mode also disables bluetooth (oddly, wifi can be turned back on but bluetooth can't.)

The first startup without a SIM was still really slow but subsequent restarts are much faster, so that's definitely a help :) I think that'll do it!

One followup question, though: surely Basil Brush was never anywhere near Dr Who...? ;)

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones