Converting Anime to playable format? (.MKV to .???)

Last Updated:

1. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The only video I have is anime in HD from torrents. All recent and current anime is encoded in HD Format H.264 under .MKV

I have tryed converting these files to .avi or .mp4 but they always lose the subtitles in the process. Any one knowledgeable enough to provide some input please.

Also what is a good *free* video converter and what would be the desired resolution and audio qualities I should be converting to?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Advertisement
  2. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member

can't u just download the SD version which r in avi format
    or
    just go to those streaming anime sites with Skyfire browser(which I tested and will be doing with DX)

3. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member

I don't have an X yet, but I'm hoping since it's advertized as being DLNA compliant I'll be able to plug it into my windows 7 machine and have Windows Media Player convert anything to a format playable on the X. Do your mkv's play in WMP?

If that doesn't work I'll load up Twonky on my WHS and transcode them from there.

4. Sek0n

Sek0n Well-Known Member

Handbrake is the best vid converter imo, and its free.
    As for subs; when you add a video, there is a tab for them--"Subtitles"-- that will let you select subtitles to use.

:)

5. aldo

aldo Well-Known Member

The MKV container has the ability to store a subtitle file separately from the video and audio. AVI and mp4 do not. You will have to burn-in the subtitles onto the actual video and then convert (meaning the subs are a part of the actual video instead of being a separate file).

6. droidSPARX

droidSPARX Well-Known Member

this is why DLNA might not work with subtitles unless its hardcoded

I tried this with my PS3