• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

converting .m4b to play on Droid.

I have use Audacity to convert them to long mp3 files. When you download audacity, there are several add ons you will need (found on the audacity site). One will enable you to upload the M4b file to audacity and another to save the output to an MP3 file (Lame MP3 Encoder). As an MP3, droid handles saving your last location but does not support bookmarks. For it to save the last location, the MP3 file must be placed in the podcasts directory of your droid. If your droid does not have one, make one. Be sure you spell podcasts with an S on the end!!! They will then show up in the playlist section of the stock music player

For the record, I am still very annoyed that Android does not support M4B files. I really miss the ability to create chapters and bookmarks for my audiobook files. It does struggle with large M4A files too.

Upvote 0
Astroplayer beta from the app market will recognize and play m4b files, though I am not sure if it will bookmark it or whatever, I am 3 or 4 hours into an 8 hour book and am afraid to try anything other than pausing it and leaving the program running in the background cause I dont know how it handles bookmarking, or being able to fast forward and not skip a track.

Upvote 0
Have you tried just renaming them to .m4a.

AFAIK, the .m4b extension is just an easy way for iTunes to identify book vs audio files. It enables the bookmarking and don't shuffle options.

I've renamed several of mine and most of the Android audio apps had no problems with them.

Just FYI this totally worked for me too... Motorola Droid 2 and Motorola Droid 3. Thanks bud.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones