Converting videos for g1

Last Updated:

1. hye_tech

hye_tech Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, I need help...had my g1 since it came out. Im trying to convert video files for it but everytime I do, the video player says it cannot play format....it plays perfectly except it has no 'RW, PAUSE/PLAY, FF' options when I touch the screen...It keeps saying 'CANNOT PLAY VIDEO: Sorry, this video cannot be played'. But it is playing the video just no options....I used SUPER C....and followed all the instructions, converted like 7 different avi movies....all the same.....I used "MediaCoder' because you get to tweak the contrast, brightness and etc....making video's picture perfect.....same thing though.....CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE.....I want to be able to watch videos on the G1....The YouTUBE apps is horendous and a joke compared to the iphone youtube app........

Advertisement
  2. hye_tech

I want to know what I am doing wrong....I'm pretty experienced with a computer and etc especially with converting vid files. I've been doing it for iphones, ipod video, ipod touches, psp, ps3.....how come I can get this things to work....when I use SUPER C, (thats all I keep reading about in the g1 threads, so I tried it cuz so many ppl used it), my video files don't even finish converting all the way, they stop in the beginning, sometimes near the end, I don't get it.....I follow all the instructions....I can't wait to get my COWON o2, so I can stop worrying about all these damn conversions....lol....in the meantime, I'm stuck with a G1 that I honestly can't say I love....

3. OrganizedFellow

OrganizedFellow Well-Known Member

4. pjbtk

pjbtk Member

You can use videroa's ipod classic converter at http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/. just convert the video for a normal ipod and then transfer the file to your phone. the phone reads mp4 files. the quality is decent but the more impressice thing is the speed at which the program converts the files. For the quality I think the converting time is fast. My computer does a 30 min file in a little more than 5 minutes.

5. hye_tech

I've used SUPER C but everytime I go to convery a file, the full file doesn't get converted. Sometimes, a small percentage of the video file, sometimes most of the video files, why is that? I meet all the requirements and I followed all the options from one of the forums for setting up the formats and etc.....I've used videora before, It is much quicker but the quality isn't that great, im gonna give it a try again.....i'll let you guys know what happens, I appreciate it...

6. hye_tech

I don't know whats up with SUPER C on my PC, a lot of things aren't running like they're suppose to. U think it has something to do with VIRUSES? O well....I finally got a converted video I can actually control due to VIDEORA. I want the video to be fullscreen though instead of letterbox, any suggestions? It's wasted space with letterbox...Thanks to the both of you two for your help....Know where I can get some neat games for the G1?

7. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

easiest thing is to get a program that leaves all thought out of it like Format Factory you can download it for free :
    http://www.download.com/FormatFactory/3000-2194_4-10819418.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10896621
    Then do conversion to 3gp select the files you want to convert and wait till it finishes.... I'm sure there are plenty of programs out there that do the same thing as easily but if my girlfriend can get it to work with this software then any one can do it trust me....

8. Survive

Survive New Member

Nice! i the program im about to use is called COLOR7 Video. iv used it mainly for psp and it has been great.

9. Mi|enko

Mi|enko Well-Known Member

Media coder is pretty good. I also use the newest tmpgenc for HD movies, as it now supports Cuda and my video cards do all the work rather quickly.

10. StarLog

StarLog Well-Known Member

FormatFactory and Super are both excellent, just remember to save it to PSP format.

Works great.

11. sw20matt

sw20matt Well-Known Member

format foactory is awesome, works great and is very easy to use.

12. DarkTLRrider

DarkTLRrider Well-Known Member

I converted a movie for my flight from lax to boise and I used format factory the video had minor jerky feeling but for a phone not bad (I think my Treo was better) but the sound was so low the sound of the plane was drownding it out is there a setting to boost the sound while converting? I didn't see any way to turn up the volume in the player other than the phone volume.

13. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

I also converted a DVD with Format Factory, nice painless converesion as it rips and converts at the same time (not a two step process of the other software I have used in the past)
    I was very pleased with the final image quality

I too found the volume to be very low, anybody else have a solution

14. carlosnumbertwo

carlosnumbertwo Member

I've used the below instructions with great success to convert my dvd rips. Keep in mind that you first have to get SOG Video Converter and the Video app from the Android Market first (duh) :p.

SOG Video Converter options that give proper aspect ratio using 1.0 Video Player on G1 (SOG the only converter that I have tried that works for this)

Choose profile setting "to iPhone"

480X320, H.264: Excellent Quality : (I adjust the parameters as listed below)

Audio = 64
    Video Quality = 312 (you can make it higher, this value gives more space for video files with good quality).
    Frame rate = 23.97
    Output Image = Keep Aspect Ratio (this is important)
    Video resolution = 480:320

If you get a full version of SOG and dont know how to open and save a file with above settings THEN GOOGLE IT OR READ THE USER GUIDE FOR SOG!

15. Rmg12gra

Rmg12gra Active Member

16. zukgod1

zukgod1 Member

I just downloaded SUPER.

I'll give it a try tonight.

17. johnmed3

johnmed3 Member

Thank's guy's just installed FormatFactory. Can't wait to get my g1. Already have the software to watch my movies on it :) !

18. Raidersram

Raidersram Active Member

DVD ripping for COMPLETE NEWBIES.

If you are completely clueless about how to rip a DVD to your G1 (like I was a week ago) this post is for you.
    This method will rip a movie straight from your DVD to an MP4 file that the G1 Video Player 1.0 knows how to play.

You will need to download and run HandBrake (an open source ripper) http://handbrake.fr/ HandBrake has the simplest, most intuitive UI of any ripper I have found so far.

Here are some settings that work for the G1. Some experimentation may find a better set of parameters, but these work and yield good results. A two hour movie ends up about 375 MB.

Source: Browse to the VIDEO_TS folder on your DVD
    Title: Select the longest one.
    Destination: Wherever you want to keep the file. You can actually rip directly to the mounted SD card of the G1, if you want.
    Preset: Classic works. Others may also, I haven't tested them yet.
    OutPut Settings: Set Encoder to Mpeg4, Audio to AAC, uncheck the two other checkboxes.

On the Picture Settings tab, turn off Crop, check "Loose Anamorphic", and set width to 480. (NOTE: sometimes you have to check Anamorphic PAR before Loose Anamorphic becomes usable. Maybe this is a GUI bug?)

On the Video tab, set the Quality Avg Bitrate to 384.

Click Start in the upper left corner. A 2 hour movie takes about 45 min to encode.

Hopefully people will find this helpful.

EDIT: If the DVD you want to rip is copy protected, you will need to also install DVD43 ( http://www.dvd43.com ), a system tray application that de-copy-protects DVDs on the fly. There aren't any configuration parameters, you just install it and forget it. It silently removes copy protection as you read data from the DVD. All credit for this goes to mikey1022 at xda

19. polockdoc

polockdoc New Member

Right you are! FF is quite good, and uncomplicated. And FREE!
    "Super" is way too complicated and bloated.

20. tiredhiker

tiredhiker Well-Known Member

I tried them all and the best was SUPER Because they have a 16 to 1 option it will make a Video that will fill the screen on the G1. FF would make a Vid but sides had black lines and did not fill the screen ALTHOUGH when you fill / streach the Vid you will lose a little quality.

21. AndroidSocialMedia

AndroidSocialMedia Active Member

The best video converter software our team has tried is Format Factory. Freeware available for download here: Format Factory - Free media file format converter

You will need to convert directly to the mpeg portable device format. Transfer file via USB directly to the SD Card.

22. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I use SUPER to convert my videos...as well as my audio...

It's not all that complicated once you know what buttons to press...

But I'll try Format Factory because I recommended it to my friends and they aren't getting along very well with it...so it might be an alternative for them to use..

23. dynodroid

dynodroid Well-Known Member

There's too many programs out there that convert video and audio to the G1's acceptable formats. Some more complicated than others I suppose, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one you're comfortable with.

24. jtan

jtan Member

The super is not bad... As for me, im used to using Daniusoft android video converter to convert various video like my favorite YouTube videos, home videos(.MOD/.MKV) to my G1 for watching, It is already optimized for output setting for android phone... easy-to-use.

25. fantasytozi

fantasytozi Active Member

I've been wondering why didnt anyone choose JetAudio for converting.
    It's the best media player I've ever used. Lot of options, include converting audio and video. I've been using it for converting movies to Hero too. Just choose an already setting for example: mp4/ipod touch (480x320), in the convert section and everything turn out so great.:)