Cooking Roms: data/app vs. system/app??

Last Updated:

1. Papex

Papex Active Member This Topic's Starter

Just rooted my Desire and started out as chef with a custom MoDaCo ROM.:)

Allright let's say I wanna take it a bit further: what are the pros and cons when choosing between data/app or system/app??

Currently I've partitioned my SD card and use A2SD+ having Android to believe the apps are stored internally eventhough they are on SD (If I understood this correctly). I like this feature and wanna keep it with my next Roms. (Don't know if this issue has anything to do with my overall question:

What are the pros and cons? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

/data us what is referred to by users as internal memory. This is what runs out etc. Advantage of using this is that you can update it from the market / manually update. Flip side is if you factory reset the app is gone

/system is also internal memory bit different partition. This is where the rom is.

Pro and con exact opposite of /data

locklady likes this.
  3. Papex

Thank you for the answer!

I've got another question then: Since I have very little experience in making Roms I'm just wondering what other users normally prefer? and are there some apps which preferably should be installed on either /data or /system?

Based on your answer above I take that when I install an app from Market this would normally be installed on /data. Correct?

And since I've "increased" my internal memory with a partition on the SD it's actually /data which is making use of this. Right?

Thanks in advance!

4. SUroot

Yes you are correct.

I.only really want Rom manager or titanium in system as of o need to wipe, don't have to sign in and set up data connections in order to restore.

I.prefer everything else in data

Papex likes this.
  5. Papex

Ok. Thanks again.
    But please explain to me then: How come that my /data is empty when I look into it from Astro filemanager? I've installed several apps from Market after I flashed my Rom. Where did they go? Is it because Astro can't handle the partitioned SD card working as internal memory?

And one more thing: My baked Rom included a version of Google Maps which now needs to be updated but update constantly fails. I take it is because it's installed on /system then. Right?
    Based on what you told Rowlers in another thread I could try to delete it with Titanium and then make a new installation from it on Market, right? Or am I missing something here?

6. SUroot

Data app is symlinked to ext. You need root explorer or android mate

Yes try titanium or delete from.Rom zip and reflash

7. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Some useful info here, seems to answer a couple of question I have before flashing my first ROM.

So, apps that come included in the ROM, such as Google Maps, can't be updated directly from the Market because they are in the system partition - best solution is to add the apps separately and let them sit in Storage/Ext3. I suspected this already, but good to know.

I'm using Titanium Pro to backup everything. I have photos, icons, wallpapers etc on my PC anyway so I don't need to back them up. What about the settings like APN, SMS message centre number, etc? Where are they located? It's only really the settings and text messages that I'd like to restore, everything else I need can be put back on the phone easily after the wipe/flash.

8. SUroot

The thing is if you have to wipe, its because the settings are incompatible with the Rom.

9. Eris Ed

I'm thinking about this too much again, I think! ;)

Maybe the easiest solution is to back up stuff like Angry Brids (with the scores/game data), wipe and flash. I have a copy of my network settings and email account settings that I can re-enter later.

Will I have any issues with the Market after I flash? I assume the market is linked to my Google account so it should remember who I am and what I've purchased?

I still don't know if there will be an issue with SIMlock (phone is Orange branded 2.2 OTA), so maybe it would be wise to flash without the SIM card in the phone.....

10. SUroot

Take out sim yeah.

Backup everything and try without wipes. If that fails, wipe and then you can restore parts. It's often trial and error

:)

11. Papex

Removed Maps with Titanium, but update still continues to fail. Guess I have to flash a new ROM without Maps (and other stuff perhaps).... [..sigh]

12. Eris Ed

Thanks.

Just looked at your post in another topic: Titanium Pro > Backup/Restore > Menu > Batch.

User apps & system settings shows a huge list of things to backup, including the Orange bloat which I can deselect. There's also a few things on the list that appear to be SMS/MMS storage & settings, Email account info, APN info, etc etc. I guess after flashing I could selectively restore these things and see what happens - if the settings get restored it would avoid the need to enter settings manually.

13. SUroot

Have your existing rom you flashed on SD, navigate to the zip and within it, go to /system/app and delete the .apks

Takes about 5 minutes including reflash and you wont lose anything.

Really easy.

Depending on your rom, you may have 2 google map related .apks. I think theres street view in there. Or maybe you have the brut version?

Papex likes this.
  14. SUroot

Yeah you can.

Why what happens when you deselect them?

15. Eris Ed

It just removes them from the list of apps that get the batch backup treatment, so they won't appear in the list of items to restore.

16. rowlers

rowlers Well-Known Member

I backed up everything, apps/settings/data....
    after I flashed leedroid, I restored "missing apps and all system data" seemed to work?!

17. SUroot

Sorry musread. Thought you. Said you can't select th
    Them