• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cool Droid review...

Another "educational" review posted by J.Merrion at Amazon:

-Tethering. You can pay Verizon $15/month for this access, or you can download an app, PDAnet, for free and use your laptop anywhere you have cell reception. That is about $200/year (with tax) in savings. The iPhone doesn't support tethering currently...AT&T won't allow it. Any other smartphone OS on Verizon seems to require the Verizon tethering charge.
-GPS: This provides voice turn-by-turn navigation and does so nicely. Goodbye other GPS devices. I sure wouldn't want to be Garmin or Tomtom now.
-Exchange access: I laughed when a Verizon rep told me this phone would only access my corporate Exchange server if I paid them $15/month. It accesses Exchange fine. If you have really funky, strict policies in your company, download the $20 app called Touchdown, to access Exchange in stricter IT environments. So, that is another $200/year (with tax) in savings.
-Physical keyboard and 2 virtual ones: OK, the physical keyboard is getting slammed, but in my opinion, it is not too bad. Could they have made it better? Yes. However, it works fine for my large fingers and I like it. Having previously owned an iPod Touch, I believe the Droid's virtual keyboard is more accurate and the auto suggest rocks.
-No iTunes. I know some people love this bloatware, but I hate it. It updates constantly and having to sync your phone or music player to it every time you plug in sucks. Give me drag and drop any day or use one of the nice media manager apps available for download. Seriously, iTunes sucks.
-It is not Apple. Yes, Apple offers a very nice user experience. Agreed fanboys. Yet you marry yourself to their platform with every iTunes purchase you make. The Android OS offers you the ability to switch carriers and hardware with ease.

By the way, the display on this phone is gorgeous.

Buy one today...Verizon finally is a player in the smartphone space.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Another "educational" review posted by J.Merrion at Amazon:

-Tethering. You can pay Verizon $15/month for this access, or you can download an app, PDAnet, for free and use your laptop anywhere you have cell reception...

If you're on a $30/mo. data plan, tethering is $30/mo. additional.

Though many people do it, use of PDAnet is a violation of the terms of service for the data plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones