• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cool.. so many new phones coming out, what about qwerty users?

Have you seen the phones belonging to the HTC Desire Z / G2 / Shift EVO / Merge platform yet?

There is also the Motorola Cliq 2 which just came out. The name sounds low end, but its got Droid 2 specs. I think the keyboard here looks nicer than the Droid 2.

Samsung Intercept, which is a low to mid end one that is starting to go international in GSM form as the Galaxy 551.

LG Shine 2 is basically the GSM version of the Ally which also now has an Alltel version by the name of Axis.

Not really a lot, but we can see more with MWC, especially with the much rumored new T-Mobile Sidekick that's going to be Android powered this time. Andy Rubin, who created Android, was also the designer for the original Sidekick so its natural Android should replace Sidekick.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Any new phones coming out have the sliding keyboard like the ally and droid 2... i just cant get use to typing on a screen with my chubby fingers :(
Have you tried any of the keyboard apps? Not all require that you type using traditional methods. Some approaches may help those with larger fingers as they don't solely rely on hitting the exact spot on the screen for given keys.

I mean, I can't imagine typing being easy on my Droid for those with large fingers even though it has a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
My fingers are a bit on the fat side too and I originally looked at the Droid 2 Global over the Droid X because of it. I decided I liked the Droid X enough that I'd give the onscreen keyboard a shot. After awhile I decided to try Swype, and it solved all my problems about typing on the virtual keyboard, I can type more accurately, and quicker with Swype than I ever could on past phones with physical keyboards.

Upvote 0
My advice to people wanting to buy a phone with a physical keyboard is to beg, borrow or steal one for an hour or 2 & just type. Most people find that they get used to the virtual keyboard pretty quickly.

Oh, & try it in both landscape & portrait mode, they are very different. If I have to type something short like "ok, see you then" I usually use portrait, but if it's longer I use landscape.

Upvote 0
Despite the advantages of glass typing and things like Swype, I hope they never do away with the hard qwerty option.

I love glass typing, I'm ok with it. But prior to this, I had a Moment, hard qwerty and typing on that was a pain in the neck. But prior to that, I had a Helio Ocean slider - and I could fly through complex emails like there was no tomorrow because the keyboard was so well done.

In landscape mode, a hard qwerty leaves the whole screen free for viewing - so while it may not have the touchscreen typing advantages, it actually gives the benefit of nearly doubling the on-screen viewing while typing. And - in portrait mode, you can still glass type if that floats your boat.

Between that and fat fingers, and variations in eyesight - I like choice. Choice is good. I'd rather everyone get what they want.

My favorite typing tool is Android's voice recognition - I use it wherever I can.

Just my opinions. ;)

Upvote 0
Exactly.

I switched to Android from a Sidekick, and my main concern was that I no longer had the amazing physical keyboard. Swype is so easy to use though, and it's pretty fast.

Its ironical you said this. The T-Mobile G1's keyboard is a dead copy of the Sidekick's keyboard in layout and its still the best keyboard I've seen on an Android phone..

Andy Rubin, creator of Android was also the creator of Sidekick, and the first Android phone, the G1, didn't fall from the tree. But then, things began to quickly evolve .... and that's partly because everyone, every handset maker, is imposing their own vision of Android into their phones. Note, how closely the Nexus One resembles its spiritual ancestor, the first HTC Touch with the Windows Mobile and Touchflo screen.

So yeah, when T-Mobile announced they will revive a new generation of Sidekicks using the Android OS, there is a great sense of poetic justice and satisfaction in there.

Reactions: HeatherrSuicide
Upvote 0
Its ironical you said this. The T-Mobile G1's keyboard is a dead copy of the Sidekick's keyboard in layout and its still the best keyboard I've seen on an Android phone..

Exactly. And the only reason I never got a G1 is because by the time I had money to buy my own phone (I was like 14 or something when the G1 came out :eek:), there were bigger and better things.

guamguy said:
Andy Rubin, creator of Android was also the creator of Sidekick, and the first Android phone, the G1, didn't fall from the tree.

Which is why most Sidekick users jumped to the G1 after the '08/LX got old. And, realistically, it was a smart move.

guamguy said:
So yeah, when T-Mobile announced they will revive a new generation of Sidekicks using the Android OS, there is a great sense of poetic justice and satisfaction in there.

And the day they come out with the Android-powered Sidekick, I will be beating down the T-mobile store's door. :D

At least, as long as they don't come out with the mytouch 5 (or 6) at the same time. :p

Upvote 0
Hiya,

I personally got myself an HTC Desire Z thinking the same (chubby fingers). Almost 2 months since I got one and I can confidently say that my fears were over-exaggerated.

Going from my "temporary" Nokia 6260 of 6 months (after my Nokia E90 broke down), I realized that with the option to choose from Keypad with XT9, QWERTY, and compressed QWERTY (along with the Dictionary/Predictive Text) - I didn't really have to be all that accurate as you slowly (but surely) work your way into a typing style that's all your own.

I have rarely slid the keyboard open, but it's good to know that it's still there.

Upvote 0
I tried out the desire z /g2 and found the keyboard a waste on it. Its too cramped and the keys are too stuff. I could type just as fast or faster on the screen. I ended up getting the regular desire for my gf for her bday. If i ever replace my lg shine plus (same keyboard as lg ally) it will be with a touch screen only phone with at least a 4" screen. Unless there is something out there with a keyboard as good as this one which isn't likely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones