• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cool Step by Step 2.2 to 2.3 cm7 upgrade DELL VENUE

HELP VIDEO FOR ANDROID NEWBIES TO HELP THEM CHANGE ROM FROM 2.2 TO 2.3 CM7
Step by Step 2.2 to 2.3 cm7 upgrade DELL VENUE - YouTube

On demand of some of the very new to android users, im posting a relatively easy to understood upgrade process from 2.2 froyo to 2.3 cm7(custom rom).
DELL VENUE ANDROID 2.3 CM7(CUSTOM ROM) DEMO - YouTube VIDEO LINK TO THE CM7 ROM DEMO

Remember both these roms(cm7 and miui) are rooted roms.It voids the warranty.
All credits given to the respective developers of the softwares/firmwares shown in this thread.Im just here to make the process more easy to understand.As developers say, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

CM7 FLASHABLE FILE- update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-DV-KANG-HPA-BETA2-signed.zip

GOOGLEAPPS PACKAGE- Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

COPY BOTH THESE FILES ON TO UR SDCARD(SAME FOLDER OR SEPERATE FOLDERS) BEFORE U PROCEED ANY FURTHER!

Download this file CLOCKWORK MOD- recovery.exe

steps to load cwm recovery
1-Load dell drivers on ur pc which we call adb drivers which i found on my dell mem card folder named ADB_Tethering_Driver.U will find these drivers on this forum also if you dont have it in.
2-setuo fastboot mode on your dell handset
Setting up fastboot:

Turn Device off
Move ringer to UP position
Hold down Power and Volume Down
This will show fastboot mode is on.

3-Download and install cwm
How to Install CWM?

Start recovery.exe and Extract all files
U will see file named Install CWM.bat.
Run that file and now plug ur dell venue to usb cable(venue is still in fastboot mode as we did it before)
Follow instructions on the dos screen to make ur dell venue load cwm recovery.
Your DELL Venue will reboot after installation is finished

4-Then you can see DELL logo after reboot.
Immediate you press Volume UP+DOWN

5-Once you're in the CWM recovery before you flash the ROM zip, you need to :
a. Wipe data/Factory Reset
b. Wipe Cache Partition
c. Wipe Dalvik Cache

Use vul + - key to toggle the menu and go to INSTALL UPDATE option in that menu.Again on next screen u will be asked to choose update file selection.Option name i forgot may be "INSTALL UPDATE FROM SDCARD".
Select the CM7 file which you downloaded earlier and copied to sdcard.Select and click CAMERA button to start installation.It will take about a minute or two to complete installation.

5-As installation finishes, you will see the msg - UPDATE COMPLETED.Then u need to go back to the previous menu and select REBOOT SYSTEM NOW.Finish that step.

Thats done!You are into the world of smoother, faster , interactive dell venue cm7 2.3 rom!

You wont be able to cnnect to any of google applications at this time.
To enable google account and apps, u need to follow all the earlier steps and again go into the cwm recovery mode and install the GAAP packge which u have downloaded with cm7.The process will be same...update from sdcard,select gaap file and reboot.It should not be a big deal.
option2:Also u can go to cm7 settings menu and find option to boot into cwm recovery in dell phone itself(no need of pc to run cwm).However u need the GOOGLEAPPS FLASHABLE file on ur sdcard to flash it in cwm recovery in any case...option1 or option2.

Same process needs to be followed to install another update for ussd/mmi codes.
Download this package http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii...-USSDfix-2.zip and flash it in same way as gapps was done.This would solve ur problem of ussd codes( * # kind of calls) as well.

NOTES:
**ONE MAY FACE REDUCED BATTERY BACKUP IN THIS CM7 ROM,
I HAVE FOUND A WAY FOR IT, BY USING SETCPU application WHICH COMES IN THIS ROM AS BUNDLED.
MY SETCPU SETTINGS ARE:
1-START ON BOOT CHECKED
2-PROFILES ENABLED CHECKED. TWO PROFILES ADDED FIRST IS "SCREEN OFF" SET TO "POWERSAVE" AND SECOND PROFILE "IN CALL" SET TO "CONSERVATIVE"

THESE SETTINGS GIVE ME EXTRA BATTERY BACKUP OF ABT 3/4HOURS.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones