Coolest feature you've found?General

Last Updated:

1. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

I already had them set to .5 but turned them off to try this. Wow, it then took about 20-30 seconds for the screen to turn off. Tried several times. Put them back to .5 and turning off went back to taking 3 seconds.

Edit: uninstalled my true blood live wallpaper and that stopped the turn-off lag. Too bad, I really loved the dark reds and black.

So, if .5 is better than off, 1.0 must be even better, right? Nope, back to 30 seconds. Maybe this is just coincidental, but I'm leaving them at .5.

2. Ches111

Ches111 Well-Known Member

Yeah that link for Samsung apps is quite nice. One free app people might want to try is video maker. it is free from the Samsung Apps Store. There are a number of apps there (some are normally paid apps) that are free. Although the link given above does not have our device specified it actually works on the S3. You will have to create an account but I was NOT asked to enter credit info.

HINT: Make sure to uncheck the newsletter option while signing up :)
  3. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Edit: duplicate
  4. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

Poste a thread with pics of this as well but I'll mention it here just because there are loads of tips in here as well:

A lot of people have said that they didn't have text reflow when zooming in the browser. Apart from the fit text in the advanced settings in the browser which makes the text reflow nicely there is also another option. When the page has loaded a green R appears at the end of the URL on top of the page. If you press that the webpage is reformatted in a reading pane and it is nice and easy to read with options to increase or decrease font. Once you are done reading you can press back or Done on the top of the page and it takes you back to the original website.
    Pretty neat

That's all

PS This is for the stock browser.

5. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! Now I know how to change the input method. I couldn't figure out how to do it without going into the settings.
  6. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Not true at all. It works with Google Voice recognition. Someone else above confirmed that as well.
  7. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I had my hopes up when I read this because my son also loves to watch cartoon on Youtube, but when I tried this it just locks the phone. It works on the stock video app but not on youtube
  8. jroyjohnson

jroyjohnson Well-Known Member

I had troubles with this too. Make sure you don't take your finger or thumb off the screen while you rotate the phone. I was lifting my finger off as I turned in horizontal and it wasn't starting the camera app up. Once you get it down once it's easy.

Its a great shortcut as it frees up an additional spot on your lock screen for another app!
    eddiesleftfoot likes this.
  9. darkfiregt

darkfiregt Active Member

To anyone not using S Voice, open up the S Voice app, hit menu, settings, and turn S Voice activation off. This will make your home button respond much quicker. With S Voice turned on, the phone waits nearly half a second before it goes home, as it's waiting for a second click to initiate S Voice.
    AceMathias likes this.
  10. ranpoli

ranpoli New Member

Unable to find a "briefing alarm" in the clock/alarm section.

Please direct.
  11. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Load 'Clock' then 'Alarm' tab.
    Next tap the + symbol to create a new Alarm.
    Now look down where it says 'Alarm Type' and tap to select the bottom item 'Briefing'.

Job done.....
  12. speedfan

speedfan Well-Known Member

It works in the video player but not YouTube
  13. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

What voice command turns off the alarm?
  14. alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

I thought it was a stop.
  15. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've been trying to use the camera shortcut from the lock screen and can not figure out what I am doing wrong, but my camera does not start.
    Here is how I understand shortcut works:
    On the lock screen put the finger on the screen and slowly turn phone into landscape screen. I done this multiple times and camera never came up :-(. What am I doing wrong?
  16. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Well-Known Member

I thought u were suppose to click it and hold it and pull up
  17. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Well-Known Member

Huh? Click it and hold it and pull up? I guess you are joking.

But seriously guys what is the proper process of activating the camera from the lock screen?
  18. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Well-Known Member

No I'm sure just pull up from the app.
    Well atleast that's what it showed me when I first got it
  19. Grunnsetning

Grunnsetning New Member

How do you take screenshots on the gs3?
    On my droid x i had to root it.
  20. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

Hold the home key and then hold the power button - you'll hear it make the camera shutter sound when it takes the screen shot
    AceMathias and kymberlin like this.
  21. jkoch2272

jkoch2272 Active Member

There is also the option of just palm swiping the screen and it will take one.
  22. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

I had a hard time making that one work though - just kept scrolling the screen..... the buttons are easier to me.
  23. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Well-Known Member

Phone vibrates when you pick it up when their was a missed message.
  24. Cirith

Cirith Active Member

I had a hard time figuring it out at first. Use your actual palm either facing the screen or on its side (area between pinky and wrist.) If you use fingers that aren't flat you'll end up clicking/swiping/scrolling.

Menu>Settings>Motions to get to some of the stuff people have mentioned. If you aren't familiar with them they have tutorials for it all.

Another fun little option but certainly not exclusive to this phone/app: I use an app called Tiny Flashlight + LED. Has mostly the normal lights but one setting I found fun is the "shake on lockscreen" to enable/disable the led light. Does what it says: Just give the phone a quick shake while on the lockscreen to turn the led on and off.
  25. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

Is this allshare dongle a USB dongle or what? Does it add storage to a tv or rely on the TVs storage?