Coolest feature you've found?General

Last Updated:

1. Power2g

Power2g Active Member

This didn't work for me, I'm on Verizon.. Sounds like a great feature. Are there any other settings to enable?

Advertisement
  2. rabiddawgs

rabiddawgs Well-Known Member

did not see it posted and not sure if its an ics thing but i have heard people complain about having too many screens to scroll through. well you can delete the ones you dont want.
    pinch zoom home screen to pull up all your screen.. then jusy press/hold the screen you dont want and drag to the trash can
    GRey1 likes this.
  3. miyooper

miyooper Well-Known Member

Wow having the video screen pop out and stay on top while you do other things is pretty interesting. And I love being able to shake on the lock screen and have Tiny Flashlight app turn on the flash...easy thing to show off. I'm always amazed how often I use my phone as a flashlight.

Haven't been able to get the palm swipe for screen capture thing to work yet tho...

Oh Side of the hand and not flat...I'm dumb
  4. scooter1942

scooter1942 Well-Known Member

really? you must have some damn conductive pockets to do that...

various launchers have had this feature for years now
  5. MentatYP

MentatYP Well-Known Member

Love this too. You could always install something like Widget Locker to enable this feature, but it's nice that it's built into the ROM now. I still sometimes find myself unlocking the phone just to check my notifications, so I'm not quite used to it yet :)
  6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Ha. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were calling me a liar.

As you know, the pockets do not need to conduct. They simply need to have holes in them, which they have - given that Jean pockets and work trouser pockets are woven cotton.

In fact, you can test this with any fabric. Some will be too thick, others - not so much. Here's a test for you. Take the T-shirt you're wearing and make the fabric double layered. Not see how you can still control the screen (all be it inaccurately) through the T-shirt?!
  7. bennybbc

bennybbc Well-Known Member

I can't control the screen on mine through the fabric at all. Not sure what doubling it up is supposed to do but I tried that too and it still didn't work. I nearly always have my phone in my shirt pocket with the screen against my skin. I did the same with my Droid X too. It almost never will activate it except when my shirt is a little moist from sweat, which isn't too often. Not soaking wet, just slightly moist. Are you sure you didn't pee your pants? :rolleyes:;):D

Benny
  8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Doubling it up makes it twice as hard to control, yet it still does that
  9. bennybbc

bennybbc Well-Known Member

Sorry but I still don't know what you mean. But that's ok. :)
  10. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Well-Known Member

I hadn't remembered till I saw and used it today but the pip is nice:D
  11. thedude417

thedude417 Member

This does work quite well. I don't see myself using it in a public setting though. I just came from IPhone and I was able to simply push the volume up button to capture a pic. That to me would be more useful on this phone (or am I missing something?) because it is impossible to take a steady photo by touching the screen.

Very impressed with the camera and video though. Taking pics while taking video is also very cool and useful.

I totally agree that there are to many negative threads. As I said I just came from IPhone which I REALLY loved and this phone has not disappointed me like I thought it may. Reading all these threads started to make me feel bad about my choice until I pick the phone up and use it, then all the negative feelings go away lol :)

Does anyone know if the cam/recorder has IS (image stabilization)?
  12. thedude417

thedude417 Member

Both work great for me. I can access my camera two ways from my lock screen :)
  13. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I actually find it easier to take a steady photo using the screen than using a physical button. You don't have to apply any pressure to the screen, but pushing a button requires some force which can move the phone.
  14. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. It's called Anti-shake. Look in the video camera settings. It's off by default. But remember that you can't take pics while recording video if Anti-shake is on.
  15. thedude417

thedude417 Member

Agreed! I think the smart alarm is my favorite feature. I can't tell you how many times my IPhone almost got thrown across the room in annoyance and fright lol. I used to snooze a couple of times but not now. Waking up slowly to a nice peaceful sound starts my day off much better than the very obnoxious alarms that were on my IPhone.
  16. thedude417

thedude417 Member

That is disappointing to hear, I wonder why that is... I really would like the best of both worlds. I was excited about the pic during vid feature but it looks like I will not get use out of it.
  17. thedude417

thedude417 Member

I can't find this setting... It not in the settings within the cam app.

Like other users I find the phone settings poorly organized and hard to remember where things are.
  18. phillyphill39

phillyphill39 Active Member

What setting anti shake is in the settings of the camera app. Go into the camera click the gear and scroll to the bottom. The pic during video feature you just start recording and tap the screen to take a picture.
  19. thedude417

thedude417 Member

Is the issue with the voice activated shutter specifically for the word "Cheese?" I am on Google recognition and it works when I say capture.
  20. thedude417

thedude417 Member

Yes I am very confused by this as well. Sometimes it reads out the messages and sometimes not with no change to settings.

Am I the only one that finds S Voice totally frustrating and useless (with the exception of voice to text working moderately well.) I have also had an issue with S Voice activating itself. I turned of the double tap to activate thinking that perhaps against all odds the button was being double tapped in my pocket. I still had the issue. I then turned off the voice activation and it hasn
  21. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

I don't remember reading this anywhere...I just tried it last night. S3 can play lossless FLAC files back perfectly fine.

I think I need a 128 gig SDcard now lol...

Oh, and don't hate the S-voice. It's quicker to use this for setting reminders, appointments and so on. They really clearly put some time into making that almost fullproof. Other than that, forget it.

What I'm maddest about though is that it's useless in the car because you still have to press a button to get it to work unless you leave the lockscreen on (when you probably want to use a car dock program which will keep the screen on), and because of the aux cable being incompatible with Bluetooth, it might not hear you anyway.
  22. mted558

mted558 Well-Known Member

Where is the "driving mode" on icon at the top of the pull down menu? Is it something I have to add? My only options are "wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, sound,screen rotation, mobile data, power saving, airplane mode and sync"
  23. jules20

jules20 New Member

How do you get this feature to work? (Vibration patterns)
  24. thedude417

thedude417 Member

Awesome, stupid me I didn't notice that I could scroll down in that menu.
  25. dervari

dervari Well-Known Member

I found that you can set Bluetooth audio devices to do only Phone Calls, only Media, or both. I have a BT adapter on my truck and use it only for music and such. Now I can set it to only handle media so it doesn't try to take over phone audio from my headset.