Coolest feature you've found?General

1. Spydaz

Spydaz Active Member

You can scroll the home screens with swipe gestures right above the home button.
    DannyDefinit likes this.
  2. StuDaddy

StuDaddy Active Member

I don't know if this was mentioned or its stock, but if you double-tap on a web page it zooms in.
  3. ImpulsebuyerNy

ImpulsebuyerNy Well-Known Member

Im liking the screen capture feature, note though you do have to physically put your palm on the screen and gesture to the right or left but i think its easier than pressing two buttons on opposite ends of the phone -

Also like the add extra volume button when on a call next to the contact photo - seems to boost it just enough if say you were in a crowded area and cant hear the person!

S-Beam works very well too - had some friends get the phones this weekend and was able to bump and send a photo to one of them as long as both phones are have s-beam enabled -

I like the whole setup of the camera and have taken some decent photos (better than my Evo 3D by far) love the burst best shot mode (8 shots and camera decides which one is best) and love how you can share directly to instagram right from photo or any other service you need to share directly to, the facial recog. thing only seems to work for my own face and never pops up with others for some reason -

The one thing that is kinda disappointing is S-Voice its very slow and rarely comes up with an answer to a question but likewise it works well for system things like play 80s music playlist etc ... but i rarely use it so its not a big deal -

Looking fwd to jellybean as it seems to fix some of the clutter and inconvience of ics - hopefully making s-voice better as well
    sboggus likes this.
  4. blstrick55

blstrick55 Member

To screen capture you're not actually using the palm of your hand but the edge of your hand. The best way I can describe it is to put your hand down on the screen like you're karate chopping it and then slide your hand across the screen that way.
    jbro650 likes this.
  5. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

...or the way a scanner/copier sensor scans across a page to make a copy ;)
  6. Whole the phone is cool like Ice Age 4. But it still cant take me home
  7. TopherG

TopherG Active Member

In call EQ settings! Nice little feature.
  8. Krunk83

Krunk83 Well-Known Member

You can speed up the home button by going into s voice settings and unpicking the home button shortcut.

Speed up your phone by entering settings and going into developer settings. Scroll down and set animation and window settings to off or 0.5.

Enjoy.
  9. Krunk83

You can also increase the volume in your pocket/purse of the ringtone. Removing the call tones is a nice feature too which is in call alert settings.
  10. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member

Here is one that drove me crazy. Under your favorites there is that frequently called list that accumulates if u call numbers from your contacts. In favorites settings>remove from favorites> select the numbers in the frequently called area and delete.
    U cant delete those numbers one by one because it would permamnently delete the contact.
  11. Krunk83

Why did this bother you? Isn't it obsolete?
  12. maplewood

maplewood Well-Known Member

How did you get it to display other computers on your network? (I assume you refer to other computers on the same WiFi network but perhaps you mean workgroup -- which would be way kewl).
  13. proframer92

proframer92 Active Member

adding the weather to the lock screen
  14. Airstream25

Airstream25 Active Member

I am impressed with the HDR setting for the camera listed under "Shooting mode". When your subject has both light areas and dark areas, the camera appears to take 2 photos at different exposure values then merge them for the best overall exposure. You will note 2 images in your Gallery, the first is the conventional exposure that likely has the dark areas too dark to show much detail. The second photo will have HDR appended to the file name and shows much improved detail in the dark areas.
  15. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

Mine still isn't doing it. Am I missing something?
  16. Spydaz

Spydaz Active Member

Just stumbled upon this by mistake!

When browsing your apps or widgets a pinch gesture gives you all of your app or widget (whichever your currently in) screens in a scrollable form!!

This is a smartphone that keeps on giving!
    marcus33, mydian, Devz and 2 others like this.
  17. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member

No it's not obsolete at all. I for one don't like too much clutter on my screen. So I use the favorites menu within the phone. But the list that accumulates under the favorite isn't so cool. Just thought I would share just in case others are annoyed by it
  18. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

When you open the Video Player app, make sure the Thumbnails tab is selected.
    mills23 likes this.
  19. cmusciano

cmusciano Active Member

I finally took a moment to put on headphones and go through the personal call equalization process. Who knew the S3 includes a free hearing test? The phone will test each ear with a range of tones at various volumes and frequencies and produce a custom equalization curve for each ear. You can then apply the appropriate curve based on which ear you use most often while talking on the phone. Very cool!

And as I suspected, my hearing in my right ear is worse than my left, especially at the high end. I wonder if the Jelly Bean update will extend this to include a Google Now card for local hearing aid services...
  20. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

Where is this test?
  21. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

So does s voice only work from the lock screen? The phone can't be asleep? (black screen)
  22. elbeeuk

elbeeuk Well-Known Member

I think(think being the operative word here!) it just has to be a wifi direct compatible tv. List is here

HTH

Elbee
  23. osutuffy

osutuffy Member

Think about it, if you could use the shortcut from your security screen, then anyone could do the same. So say you put your phone down and I take it, I now know how to go in using the camera shortcut and bypass your security code.
  24. guitarrachu

guitarrachu New Member

Call Settings>In-call sound EQ settings>Personalized EQ
    blackdog and ren857 like this.
  25. Grunnsetning

Grunnsetning New Member

Well considering my phone fell between, fairly softly, between my desk and wall and got a scratch it almost has to be a troll or someone who hasnt really dropped their phone.