Coolest feature you've found?General

1. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Well-Known Member

Just got my 2nd S3 a couple hours ago after only using the first one for a couple hours on the 6th before returning it.

So i don't create a new thread here, what would be some settings you feel should be changed from what you have found? Did you guys enable power saving and all that stuff?
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Do you know what? I don't touch power saving mode at all :)

I cheat though. I rooted and lowered the voltage supply (undervolted) the CPU. This can yield impressive results. It also means I can overclock the CPU and still use less power.

Brightness, try setting it manually instead of auto...

Google backup uses loads of power. Disabling this is good.

Motion uses power, but I keep this
  3. TeeX

TeeX Active Member

what? really?? I've been rooting and romming and frequenting Android forums for a few years, and I've never heard that. Can you explain further please?

You've piqued my interest, I'd be curious how much (relatively) battery this feature uses when checked/ activated.
  4. SUroot

Well it constantly updates over the internet, your settings. That uses power.
  5. TeeX

TeeX Active Member

I just didn't know how often it accesses the internet or backs up my account/ the settings.
  6. SUroot

I dont know how often either but the service runs constantly, even if you didnt tick the allow google to backup box

You can see it in betterbattery stats.
  7. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member

I had this issue not long after getting my S3, stopped it from going into deep sleep. Not had a single issue with battery drain since I stopped it.
  8. cleanermonkey

cleanermonkey Well-Known Member

In GSM Arenas battery test the Galaxy S3 Fared pretty well except in the Web browsing department where it was in the middle (2hours-ish after number 1)

I think this little trick could change that and tip the scale in S3's favor, thanks to the Amoled not using power on black color. (ofc. it works best with text, but still) :D

Galaxy S3 - Inverted browsing - YouTube

Open stock browser... menu > settings > Accessibility > scroll down to 'Inverted rendering' and checkmark it.

Happy browsing... for hours on end ;)

Oh and this is a really nice feature when connecting headphones (just wish I could choose which apps became available (f.ex if I was using another music player or using Audible alot (which I am) :p

Galaxy S3 - Headphones connected - YouTube
  9. SUroot

cleanermonkey and scooter1942 like this.
  10. sleeco

sleeco Well-Known Member

Hi, driving mode is already there just scroll across and it will show.
  11. TeeX

TeeX Active Member

ok, ya sold me. I turned it off :D

But did your comment mean that it will run constantly even if I have un-checked the settings box?

I un-checked the boxes that said "Automatic Restore" and "Backup My Data".
  12. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Looks like you need cwm to load it, not just root. That's a big step that some people who only root don't do.
  13. itladyee

itladyee New Member

Headphones came with it? I just took the phone and ran with it. Didn't even look in the box
  14. Kiri

Kiri Well-Known Member

Pressing the power button while watching a video locks the soft keys so accidental presses are eliminated! Very convenient for me as I watch a lot of shows on my phone.
  15. ilordvader

ilordvader Well-Known Member

Need to make a list of things we MUST DO after factory rest :)
    like the one you mention :)

After i got my phone I had to to software update
    & i dont see Privacy in Setting
    so how do we do a full clean back to factory reset Please

Thanks
  16. SUroot

Really? The simple method includes cwm. Anyone who roots should have it.
  17. MacPhyle

MacPhyle Member

I am using power save. Also a live wallpaper, since there's plenty of power on this phone for that. I've put my name on the lock screen, and enabled the news ticker and weather on the lock screen. I've enabled all the motion features except for the panning one - that seems really weird to me. I've changed the lock screen shortcuts to apps that I use more often. I keep bluetooth off until I'm actually using it, I keep NFC on, although I haven't come across anything when I'm out and about and actually using it. I have NFC tags, but I haven't tried using them yet. I have vibration on to accompany ringing and arrival of texts.

Today I've been putting my phone through light usage - a little web browsing, and a little app usage. It was very early this morning (probably about 1 or 2) when I put this battery in after charging it, and it's now almost midnight of the same day. Pretty good eh? Through the normal usage of a work day, when I'm making and receiving calls, I usually get about 8-10 hours.
  18. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

Interesting....... Not showing in my Betterbattery.
  19. cleanermonkey

cleanermonkey Well-Known Member

@SUroot "Eh, thats a stock feature? " Yes sir... haven't installed any apps that do that...

and thanks for the tip of the app with selectable apps :-D
  20. mdwamp

mdwamp Active Member

I don't seem to have this lock screen or I just can't find it. I'm still using the original (I've had the S3 for a day).

Thanks,
  21. scooterinmn

scooterinmn Well-Known Member

It IS the stock lock screen. I didn't enable the PIN or pattern lock. I just created the appointment with a reminder and there it is!
  22. SUroot

Its the standard lockscreen. This happens when you get a calendar reminder
    mdwamp likes this.
  23. SUroot

I'd never noticed it before I had the apps :)
  24. kkudi

kkudi Well-Known Member

15 toggles? where do you get that? I'm rooted
  25. jroyjohnson

jroyjohnson Well-Known Member

I'm sure I must be missing something, but I can't figure out how to set a custom vibration for a contact. Or even a specific ringtone for a particular contact. I've looked everywhere. Do you have to download an app for it? surely not.