Coolest feature you've found?General

1. MentatYP

MentatYP Well-Known Member

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread while I impatiently wait for my S III from VZW. Lots of really cool features on here I had no idea about.
  2. itspunkbro

itspunkbro Member

where oh where do I turn on such a cool feature?
  3. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

When creating a new alarm or changing am existing one, look for "alarm type" my and change that to briefing.
    Pit_man, cathwood, Arun01 and 8 others like this.
  4. mstover13

mstover13 Member

Love the palm swipe for screen shot, so much easier than 2 buttons at once
  5. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

How do you enable the video preview in gallery? Mine doesn't seem to be doing it
  6. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

It's not in gallery that it does that. It's when you open the Video Player app.
    Mar likes this.
  7. cmusciano

cmusciano Active Member

Another cool thing: creating custom vibration patterns for each contact. The interface for doing this is just perfect!

Also, taking a picture by voice is really handy, since you can steady the camera with both hands and tell the camera when to shoot.
  8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I was struggling for a scenario where that would be useful but think you hit the nail on the head
  9. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Just think of it as a wireless remote for the camera...
    jrp003 likes this.
  10. cleanermonkey

cleanermonkey Well-Known Member

There are several that I really like...

but here are a few winners...

my favorite is pinch to zoom in calendar to view: week, day or month year :-D

plus new calendar widget = awsome calendar.

second one is taking pictures while filming... That is just very handy.
  11. thearjunsing

thearjunsing New Member

I was really impressed with the Panorama camera mode (accessed by setting your Shooting mode to Panorama). It enables you to pan while the camera snaps photos to create stitched together panoramic photos.

I know other apps on the market have done this, but the photos I've taken are practically seamless and look awesome.

A word to the Instant Uploaders (G+ Instant Upload): These photos do not get resized to have their max length be 2048, so panoramic photos DO NOT get attributed to your Picasa/Google free unlimited storage.
  12. dmanindfw

dmanindfw Well-Known Member

Samsung has a free app for this on the Google Play market. No need to pay for it.
  13. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

I also like the picture while getting videos. Also supposedly you can shout to your alarm while it is playing and it stops if you activate the voice commands. And in camera mode you can say cheese and capture to take pics (as has been said). used it a few times while taking pictures with both hands. I did hope nobody was listening lol
    njperry and Stormlight like this.
  14. dmc32

dmc32 Member

A well documented feature, but the live backgrounds are really cool, I use the windmills displaying the current weather conditions (at the moment it's raining and there's water drops coming down the screen) also darkens at dusk/night etc. Pretty cool, also you can have the background rolling through news topics of your choice.
    MacPhyle likes this.
  15. AB00110101

AB00110101 New Member

I've never used Live Backgrounds on my previous phones, as I've always been concerned about battery life.
  16. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

while in Browser, long press back button for history and bookmarks
  17. FirstGen

FirstGen Well-Known Member

I wonder how much battery can be saved by changing the background to a still picture.
  18. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

Not that much, I imagine... unless you spend a lot of time looking at your home screens. Using an app like OS Monitor, you can see how much cpu each process uses, and unless you are looking at the home screen, a live wallpaper uses 0% cpu in the background.

And in comparison with the energy used by the display itself whilst it is on, it is probably negligible. It depends of course on the demands of the live wallpaper chosen.
  19. SirKronan

SirKronan Well-Known Member

On most phones it's noticeable. While the GPU can take care of most live wallpaper rendering tasks, which is generally pretty battery efficient and leaves the CPU free so your phone stays responsive, it still impacts battery life somewhat. How much will depend on how dark of a live wallpaper it is (thanks to AMOLED tech) and how much screen on time you regularly subject your phone to.
  20. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Well-Known Member

The most impressive feature to me is AllShare Play. I know Samsung have or are working on AllShare Control . It would be nice if they could make it so you could turn off your computer over WiFi.
  21. Mr Sworld

Mr Sworld Active Member

The 'Play Movies' app is great if you have a Samsung TV hooked up to your wifi router.

You get a little symbol in the top left hand corner that when you tap it the video is automatically shown on the big screen! :D
    nfoote and Stormlight like this.
  22. shaggy k

shaggy k New Member

Cant seem to get the answer and reject calls to work with voice command to work when enabled.

any ideas why?
  23. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

I like the "Restart" options in the power Device Option dialog box.
  24. Evo 5oh

Evo 5oh Well-Known Member

i dont understand this feature or how to use it ... can somebody explain
    jules20 and Kneeoil like this.
  25. Wisenos

Wisenos Well-Known Member

can't wait to discover mine... should be here in a week