Coolest feature you've found?General

Last Updated: 2015-04-04 13:25:20
  1. laddie79

laddie79 Member

Hi Guys,

Still making my mind up to whether S Voice is actually worth bothering with...

Here's your chance to list some cool stuff you've managed to do with it!
  2. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

If I try really hard I can actually get it to do what it's supposed to :p
  3. universem2

universem2 Well-Known Member

How is the sound quality through headphones?
  4. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

5. This has addressed one rather nagging peeve of mine. I've always loved having the search button and its omission on this phone was perplexing. This solution is perfectly acceptable, though. Long press menu for standard search and double-press the home button for voice search. Thanks for that.
    daffy113, Brandonmarkb and maw4bc like this.
  6. dmanindfw

dmanindfw Well-Known Member

Another NRH resident. Cool!
  7. bennybbc

bennybbc Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever once used the search button on my Droid X. I don't know why but in almost 2 years I've always just tapped my Google icon on my home screen. I certainly won't miss it when my SGS3 finally decides to show up. But since it's just a habit with the DX I'm sure I'll develop countless new habits with the SGS3.

I went from the most basic of flip phones to the DX and it was quite a bit to learn. I managed just fine but it didn't come overnight. With all of the amazing features of the SGS3 it looks like going from DX to SGS3 will be almost as big of a step as going from a crappy flip phone to the (Then) Android flagship.

Benny
  8. robin_

robin_ Well-Known Member

I use the search button extensively, but never from the home screen. Always from within applications. It's like tapping F3.
    scooter1942 and Kdasilva20 like this.
  9. Different strokes, I guess. I like that with the Android phones, no matter what you are doing, there is a menu button, a back button, and a search button that are relevant to the task you are performing. It is one fewer icon/widget that you have to put on your home-screen, too.
  10. Rallye James

Rallye James Active Member

While I find this works quite well, I was disappointed that it only works in a couple of places, one being the contacts. I would be more impressed and actually likely to use it if it worked in the browser (stock or Chrome) or apps like Facebook or Twitter.

I found a nice feature yesterday by accident, not sure if it's S3 specific or Android/ICS as a whole - When in a full screen app, swipe from the top of the screen to view the status bar and be able to pull it down to view notifications.
  11. bennybbc

Really? I'm looking forward to that. I have a few apps on my Dx that don't give me access to my status bar. I've never understood that reasoning behind this as it's really inconvenient sometimes. This will be a very welcome feature when the magic delivery day finally arrives...

Benny
  12. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Is there a way to remove the "Swipe screen to unlock" text from the opening screen?
  13. Krunk83

Krunk83 Well-Known Member

Use widget locker.
    Captain Brick and rookie789 like this.
  14. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Settings, security ,lockscreen options and untick "Help text"
  15. rookie789

rookie789 Active Member

Thanks Shotgun, you made my day!

I did that on my 1st GS3 probably to a prior post you made but returned that phone due to a connectivity issue and after about 2 hours haven't been able to duplicate the procedure until your above post.

Thanks again and a Happy 4th wished you!
  16. toyman317

toyman317 Well-Known Member

To be able to hide and unhide apps in the app drawer.
    jericko likes this.
  17. androidtp

androidtp Well-Known Member

Bought the phone a couple of days ago. So far, here are the features I've discovered that are worth mentioning:

1. The phone has granted me 3 wishes.
    2. The 1st wish gave me the ability to fly, much like the phone with it's no lagging features and super fast processor.
    3. The 2nd wish allowed me to cause all Apple brand devices to crash whenever my S3 would detect Apple products within it's vicinity. :D
    4. The last and final wish was the ability to make further wishes, which in turn, allowed me to fall in love deeper with my SGS3.*

Oh ya, if you hold both of your fingers on a picture within the gallery, you can hold the phone away or towards you and it'll zoom in or out. Pretty cool feature. Give it a go!

*Those wishes will remain undisclosed.
  18. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

Nice!
    KeysTreasures likes this.
  19. bennybbc

My Droid X kinda works like that now...Only I don't have to touch it with two fingers. I just hold it in one hand and if I move the phone closer or farther away from my face the image zooms in or out. If I get someone else to hold the phone even farther away the image zooms way out. The DX was way ahead of it's time. ;):rolleyes:

Benny
  20. RusskiyParen

RusskiyParen Active Member

Another cool feature....when on menu screen hold and zoom out that can rearrange your menu screens also works on widgets...)))
  21. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member

I really like the "traffic" widget. You enter whatever destination you want (home, work), and when activated, it will give you a red, yellow or green light, with a predicted travel time to your destination. Very cool, especially if you travel around your town a lot.
    itladyee likes this.
  22. bennybbc

What do the different colors indicate?

Benny
  23. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member

how good or bad the traffic is!
  24. bennybbc

I wonder what they use as a standard for that one. Bad traffic for my town is nothing compared to that of a big city. Having lived and commuted in several large metro areas I can say that sitting still on a freeway for a minute or two would only count as a yellow where in my current town on only about 100K people it would be justification for abandoning your vehicle and just walking. :rolleyes:

Benny
  25. RusskiyParen

RusskiyParen Active Member

Another pretty cool feature - you can create your own vibration type for any occasion, click on Sounds>Device vibration>Create(at the bottom)

i find it cool