CoPilot 8

Last Updated:

1. Andreasnicolai

Andreasnicolai Member This Topic's Starter

Is there anyone who use the CoPilot 8 software for navigation while driving?

Is it worth the money?
    How is the interface?
    Is there an alternative?

Regards, Andreas

Advertisement
  2. jim.mason50

jim.mason50 New Member

I've used it many times and can't complain. I paid

3. Andreasnicolai

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I see, but does it seem sluggish while navigating? And is there any fancy voices too choose between?

4. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

I've got it and it works just fine. The UI is a bit clunky (wish they'd used the default phone keyboard instead of coding their own, worse version) but it's fine once you get used to it, and it does the job it's supposed to do perfectly well.

No lag that i've noticed when navigating. In fact, it seems much more responsive than the iphone version (although that was running on a 3G, not a 3GS) - it was certainly MUCH quicker at getting a satellite lock than the iphone version.

Well worth the money IMO. Obviously android 2.0 is coming soon which will allow us to use google nav, but personally i like to know that i can use the satnav in the absence of a network connection. Also google already have quite enough of my data, thankyou. Not sure they need to know everywhere i drive to as well.

P.S. w.r.t. voices: You get a choice of about 8 installed voices (called things like luke, emily, henry etc, havent really played around with them much to know the differences). About 30 languages supported. Dont know if you can download 'novelty' voices or not, havent looked.

5. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

I've used it a couple of times - aside from the stupid keyboard they've used, it's actually pretty good!

Gadget Show tested it on the iPhone and it refused to redirect properly if you took a wrong turn. However, when I've used it on my Hero, it's worked flawlessly, always redirecting when I've deliberately taken a different route.

And Google Maps Navigation may not come to Europe straight away, so CoPilot may be a worthwhile investment. To be honest, ~

6. Andreasnicolai

I totaly agree with you Dave, needing both internet connection and GPS is a big deal breaker for me. Both because I don't have free internet at the moment, and up here in Norway I don't trust the network connection at all.

Let me know if you find some new voices, would be awesome to have John Cleese or something telling you where to go.

7. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Yeah, dynamic redirection works flawlessly for me, too.

FWIW, i think there are already hacked versions out there that work with european maps. But still not going to be much use if youre trying to navigate around the less populated parts of norway.

8. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

Ive used it, its pretty good generally and always redirects me if needed. However i found if i was using it for 30-40 mins it would freeze and/or lose gps reception.

Ive since put Sygic McGuider on which i had on my n96 and its been flawless everytime. Its around