CoPilot on HTC Desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Maura, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Maura

Maura New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I have a new HTC Desire and I was hoping to transfer my TomTom Navigator 7 to it, unfortunately TomTom do not have support for Androids so I purchased CoPilot 8.
    Apart from a few installation problems which have been sorted by CoPilot

Advertisement

2. fletchem

fletchem Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    freelance
    UK
    I am guessing you are aware that there is free SatNav with the phone via Google Maps.

3. photek1000

photek1000 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    I was going to buy Co-Pilot, as an ex HTC Touch Cruise user with Co-Pilot 7 which was excellent, when I saw Co-Pilot 8 for Android was less than 30 quid I thought bargain, then when the desire arrived Google Navigation was sat there, so I thought I'll give it a whirl before spending any money.

And the result, it's superb, no need to ever purchase navigation software, the integration to the maps and even street view is excellent.

The only bit I don't like is the voice is a bit rubbish, but that's there to live with at this price point.

Sorry thread hijack from an ex Co-Pilot user.

4. APK

APK Active Member

May 11, 2010
    The clue may be in the comment "The maps I purchased for

5. MH75

MH75 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    How is the data downloaded onto the phone?

Can you just download it onto a PC then transfer to the sd card?

6. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

With Copilot when you launch it for the first time it basically downloads the maps that you have a license for, but Google Maps only downloads them on the go as you need it...hence expensive roaming data charges

7. drbell

drbell Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Had Co-Pilot on my HTC HD2 and bought it again when i got the Desire. Stupid Idiot!! Spent

8. tanbe174

tanbe174 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010

then why does it need to have Mobile Internet on to run CoPilot. It actually uses data, so there is no big differences between Google navigation and CoPilot.

9. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    UK
    no you dont need mobile internet to run copilot, unless you run it for the first time so it checks something or downloads something, but then it might be also needing internet if you have some online services (weather, traffic) allowed, which needs data to be fetched from databases. but maps are stored on SD cards,thus, not you dont need internet to navigate. whereas, google navigatio is constantly on to draw the maps as you go.

10. 400ixl

400ixl Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    IT Solution Architect
    UK
    Correct, data is only required for Live services.

Used CoPilot a couple of weeks ago in France. Didn't get the phone roaming enabled as we had another one with us so there is no way it could have used data and it worked fine.

11. Maura

Maura New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I have been using CoPilot for a few weeks now we have arranged for the internet connection to be blocked deliberately by our server. My husband has TomTom 7 and when it was first installed on his HTC Touch HD he received internet connection charges of more than €300 because the navigator was updating all the time without his knowledge. We have both arranged for the internet to be blocked since then.
    Once CoPilot is installed it cost nothing to run as the maps are preinstalled on the SD card. If you need to change your plans with Google Maps you need an internet connection and there is no voice guidance as far as I am aware.

12. diggedy

diggedy Active Member

Jun 19, 2010

13. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010

14. hossein01

hossein01 New Member

Jul 6, 2010
    On my HTC desire, street view on Google Satnav wont come up, it did at first.
    Anybody having similar problem ? Or care to comment please.

15. Rushey

Rushey Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Herts, UK
    I've just migrated from a HTC Touch Cruise 2 to a HTC Desire, and wanted to bring my CoPilot Live 8 across.

I had to buy a core Android CoPilot Live product, so I (re)bought UK & Ireland, but I was able to transfer my other products (USA/Canada maps, and UK Premier Traffic Alerts) across for free.

Rob

16. pspbricker

pspbricker Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    To be honest, I prefer Navigon, at least until Google maps improves, or Tomtom release an Android version. I found Copilot slow to respond in the menu, and the voices sound distorted.
    Google Maps won't catch on as a pan-european solution until maps are able to be preloaded to the SD card - as soon as you leave your home country, roaming charges render Google maps useless. Anyway, it's not available officially in all countries - although Lekky's tips and tricks can get around that.

Tags: