Copilot & Tomtom are not going to be happy.

Last Updated:

1. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Preview of Google maps navigation and it looks good.

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/10/28/android-2-0-adds-the-game-changer-known-as-google-maps-navigation/

Advertisement
  2. ivanover

ivanover Member

3. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I wonder if Google will share this with the iphone? it would be great to have it just on Android :D

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Using a "SatNav" which needs to be always connected will be no good. You need to have the maps on the device, especially when travelling by car outside of a City/3G area...

5. wuthton

Google like nothing more than the proliferation of their products, Apple not approving it for the App Store would seem more likely to me.

In anticipation I will start practicing a smug look though.

6. wuthton

Google maps in map mode works perfectly well over edge, I have used it for 100s of miles without being let down. If you want to use satellite view then yes, you do need 3g but I prefer map mode for navigation anyway.

7. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member

I agree. While it is nice to have this feature available around city areas for occasional use, I use GPS navigation in areas where there are no cell towers for ANY service :rolleyes: --- so when you are in the boonies, only a dedicated GPS navigator receiver (full maps on board) will work. My Garmin Nuvi will continue to fill that role.

But still nice to have that feature if you were to need it on occasion. It is already amazing what they have packed into the Hero already :D

8. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member

This won't be a replacement for my stand-alone TomTom, but it will be nice for when I travel & am in a rental car. Most places I visit on business are in populated areas with decent data signals.

I would prefer to have an Android solution with the maps loaded on my microSD card, but for free I can live without it :)

9. pedg

pedg Member

I wonder if when you plan a journey while in range of a data connection (home wifi would be good!) it could download the map data for the whole route? That would make it more useful (unless you have to take an unplanned detour of course!).

10. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is a good example of a perfect application of the full navigation service. Traveling, and you don't have your own vehicle. It is amazing what you have in such a small device. :D

11. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I travel round rural Scotland a lot so I don't think it's going to replace my tom tom, it will be nice to have something different when I'm in the city though.

From the short videos I've just watched on this site it does look very very good.

Cheers Al

12. NiceCupOfTea

NiceCupOfTea Well-Known Member

It does look good but as others have said I'm struggling to see how it can be much use.

Firstly, it depends on phone reception - never mind the wilds of Scotland, Orange have patches of no reception on major arterial routes into London! Not the sort of place you want to be without satnav...

Also - using GPS and having the screen on and pulling down large amounts of data is going to nuke the battery. Even if running from the ciggie lighter, if I was on the phone on my old TyTN 2 while using GPS, it would actually discharge!

Finally, you are going to go through your Orange 500MB-more-than-you-can-ever-need data bundle very very quickly indeed - could be expensive...

I think I will stick with CoPilot for now...

13. LABRAT

LABRAT Well-Known Member

looks good to me.. in one vids i watched, the guy was demoing it on a table, with some it
    iritating ruby wax type woman drowning him out in the background..

but when asked about signal loss mid trip he did say the app would cashe the maps for the whole route prior to departure.

14. Gabe

Gabe Active Member

gps that requires data to work, almost pointless. tomtom for iphone has maps built in=win.