• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coping without an optical trackpad

I was the thread OP, and it seems that we don't have a solution for the optical trackpad. Sad face :( Shame because I use it a lot.

I am out of contract now and am struggling find a handset I like. I've looked at the spec for the Galaxy Nexus and just think it would be too big - my Desire is scratched up to death after living in my pocket for a year and half.

I am tempted to go for a Galaxy SII. Not sure about whether I would miss the HTC Sense features.

One thing I definitely can't live without is the number pad keyboard (the old style with predictive text). Presumably this is a feature of Android, and not just HTC Sense, and is therefore available on newer versions of Android....?

Upvote 0
bump
+7

I've been scouring the news and rumors for hints of a new phone with a trackpad to no avail. are there even any phones from the last year or so, with a dual-core processor (1.2, 1.5 GHz, whatever) and 768+ megs of ram that have one? it looked like the international Galaxy SII had one, but, apparently, it's just a dedicated hardware home button...

I was upset enough when I had to switch from my g1's trackball to an optical pad, but now my myTouch 3g is broken and I'm using an old iphone... feels so dirty... and navigating anything is a huge pain in the ass, I can't imagine doing this for the next 2 years, even with android.

does anybody know why android hardware has steered so far from the hardware it was designed for? I want a keyboard, a trackball, (or even a d-pad,) a menu button, and an end call button (back-buttons do nothing during a call, why don't they end them?) I think it's absolutely insane that some new phones have none of those things.

edit: I had forgotten about the 4g slide. I guess I was disapointed in the ram and the screen size. but it seems acceptable. at least I should be able to find one cheap to last me until manufactures stop making just slabs.

Upvote 0
The Desire's optical trackpad has got to be one of the most useful physical features of all modern smartphones and tablets. I find it frustrating using devices without it.

I agree, I was sick of my desire before upgrading to an S3, and now I realise how useful the trackpad was, it made everything from calling people to editing text messages a doddle. I am more than satisfied with the S3 but I have to admit that a lot of basic tasks could be performed much quicker on the desire thanks to its trackpad. A trackpad would be a welcome addition to a phone with a screen as big as the s3 so one can operate the phone with one hand easily whilst still maintaining a good grip on the phone, though I'm not sure it would necessarily fit in with samsung's idea of style and elegance, which is probably the most important attribute of the phone. Nevertheless, the S3 is an amazing handset, can't recommend it enough

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones