Copy across a dvd, including the dvd menu, to an android

1. idtab

idtab Member

Hi,

I've made a dvd for my company, which we are playing in some presentation machines.

Is there any way to have it look as if we'd basically put the dvd into our android tabs, as in the dvd menu appears on clicking the app, and then plays the movies, etc, once you've clicked the button?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement
    :
  2. sweeds

sweeds Well-Known Member

I have not heard of any app that can mount or play DVDs. My initial though was to use an .ISO file, which is an image (this is not a picture btw) of the DVD file - however it appears as though there are not Android applications that can mount .ISO files either. You may be able to convert an .ISO file to a filetype Android can understand such as MPEG-4, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, YouTube - however I think this would only be useful for playing a single video file rather than a fully interactive DVD Menu.

In order to get the function of a DVD menu linking to separate videos, you would have to develop an Android application that resembles the format of the DVD and would function in the same way. It may be best to just have all of the videos on your tablet and play them without a menu linking them all together.

What program did you use to create the DVD and what is the filetype?
    idtab likes this.
  3. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

A typical DVD has its media files as .vob files, which can be played on Android using certain players (for example ArcMedia). The issue is however that you will miss the menus/chapters.
    ISO images cannot be mounted on Android, so that takes it out of picture.

Anyway, DVD is an old media format. It is much more efficient to create/convert videos according to modern MPEG-4 standards and distribute them with a specialized application as mentioned above. This app should be able to read media chapters and play videos itself or with a help of another video player.
  4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is possible, but maybe building a HTML file that is the menu and linking to video files stored on the device. It would be simple on a Windows machine, so I would assume it can be done in Linux (Android).
  5. idtab

idtab Member

Ah well, seems as there's no easy way out.

I'm just going to make an app that mimics the dvd menu, thanks for the idea. I wanted to avoid lots of programming, and I assumed somewhere there would be a way of mounting .iso files.

Thanks anyway guys :)
  6. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Well a dvd menu is effectively an html file anyway, so it should be possible.