• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Copy and Paste doesn't work in browsers

rxmxsh

Jun 28, 2012
So with every 3rd party browser I've tried, I cannot copy and paste. I've tried Firefox, Firefox Beta, Firefox nightly build, and Chrome. The menu appears at the top, but when I tap on copy, it does nothing.

As a side issue, I have a hard time pasting in my email app. The paste button disappears before I can tap it.

Any suggestions for either problem?

I just tried copying in Chrome and it worked. I'm not sure what you mean by 'it did nothing' - did the highlighted text just remain highlighted or did the highlight disappear as it would if it had been copied?

As to the second issue, the paste popup remains on screen for a couple of seconds - are you taking your time deciding whether you want to click paste or clipboard?

If your paste popup is lasting the same duration as mine I would advise being a bit quicker ;)

Upvote 0
I just tried copying in Chrome and it worked. I'm not sure what you mean by 'it did nothing' - did the highlighted text just remain highlighted or did the highlight disappear as it would if it had been copied?

As to the second issue, the paste popup remains on screen for a couple of seconds - are you taking your time deciding whether you want to click paste or clipboard?

If your paste popup is lasting the same duration as mine I would advise being a bit quicker ;)

The text is no longer highlighted, but th copy icon doesn't light up as if it was tapped. It's as if I tapped anywhere else except for button. I am tapping directly on the button, so that's not the issue.

The second issue - the popup just flickers. It doesn't stay on screen like it does within other apps.

Upvote 0
So with every 3rd party browser I've tried, I cannot copy and paste. I've tried Firefox, Firefox Beta, Firefox nightly build, and Chrome. The menu appears at the top, but when I tap on copy, it does nothing.

As a side issue, I have a hard time pasting in my email app. The paste button disappears before I can tap it.

Any suggestions for either problem?

You have to select the text you want to copy before you tap copy at the top of the screen.

For pasting, are you longpressing in a text imput field then trying to press the paste menu that pops up above the text field?

Upvote 0
It works on the regular browser for the GS3 man, it just takes a while.. It usually takes about 3-4 clicks for it to pop up on my screen..

Just click it a couple of times and hold your finger on the text till the copy icon appears..

Right on. I was able to get it to work with the stock browser and the nightly build of firefox.

Now that I am using apex all of my browsers work.

Upvote 0
I no longer have a paste icon, I have a clipboard icon but no paste. Also with Swift3 Keyboard on I could not (when it was working) paste in an email. Not sure what is going on.

I also have this issue. Happens w/ Swype Beta, Swiftkey, and Samsung Keyboard. I will copy text in a browser, email , or a text and rather than have a paste option, only get the clipboard option. Also, if I tap clipboard, nothing happens.

Attached the screenshot of my copy, and then also my clipboard choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-04.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-04.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 733
  • Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-27.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-01-22-29-27.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy SIII user here..
I wasn't having this problem (I used copy/paste quite often) until about 2 weeks ago. Now whenever I select text and press copy the app will freeze and close - it doesn't make it to the clipboard because I've tried pasting afterwards and there's nothing to paste.
It first happened when I was using Chrome so I thought it might have been a bug there - so I attempted using the default Internet app and the same thing happened, it would freeze, close and the error message would pop up saying the app stopped working.

I'm using Swype as the input keyboard so I considered that might be the problem - I switched back to the Samsung keyboard and the same thing happened.

I've tried hard resets and I did the firmware update last night - no change. I'm close to throwing this thing against a wall... argh.

Any updates from anyone who might have found a solution?

Upvote 0
I also have this problem!!

I can't copy and paste at all. I used to be able to: but I can't any more. Maybe it is an app or development feature? Or simply a bug from Samsung if so...

Will the new Jelly Bean update fix the problem?

I feel like crying phone is basically non-functional without copy and paste.

Edit the thread title: copy and paste issues on S3

Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy SIII user here..
I wasn't having this problem (I used copy/paste quite often) until about 2 weeks ago. Now whenever I select text and press copy the app will freeze and close - it doesn't make it to the clipboard because I've tried pasting afterwards and there's nothing to paste.
It first happened when I was using Chrome so I thought it might have been a bug there - so I attempted using the default Internet app and the same thing happened, it would freeze, close and the error message would pop up saying the app stopped working.

I'm using Swype as the input keyboard so I considered that might be the problem - I switched back to the Samsung keyboard and the same thing happened.

I've tried hard resets and I did the firmware update last night - no change. I'm close to throwing this thing against a wall... argh.

Any updates from anyone who might have found a solution?

Just an update:
After trying everything I could think of I gave up and just did a factory reset. That seems to have fixed whatever it was that broke before. Wish I had better news, but as long as you backup everything you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
I just bought an asus TF700 and I can't paste in the Android browser. It works fine with other apps and even works in Chrome but not with the Android Browser. It works well on Android browser of my Motorola Xoom but not on the one of my new Asus TF700. Can't understand why it works on one tablet but not the other. Is it not the same Android which are both Ice Cream Sandwich.

Need some explaination about this

Marco

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones