• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Copy and paste missing

Am I missing something or does the Nexus One have possibly the worst copy/paste support ever?
I recently purchased an HTC Desire for my Dad and before handing it over I obviously had to have a play with it. During the usage I noticed that from within the gmail app, browser, messages etc I could quite easily copy text (similar to iPhone) and then paste it to any text box I needed to.

I have literally never had this functionality on my Nexus One and find it difficult at times when I need to copy something from an e-mail and drop it into the browser or a message.

I dont have an adroid phone yet but well to my knowledge to copy something you highlight it then hold on it, eventually a menu appears with copy option.

Same goes with images im sure.

Yeh I know about this, but it only works if you want to copy something from a text box and copy the entire contents of that text box. The Desire has similar to the iPhone where you can select the text you want to copy by adjusting the position of the 'yellow' area.
Real shame the N1 doesn't have this as it seems like such a trivial omission.

Upvote 0
You can certainly copy and paste from web pages, by bringing up menu then going to "more" or whatever it is, and then a load more options appear including select text. It's the same menu (or close) to that which appeared on my HTC Hero when long-pressing on a web page, for some reason there's no long-press menu on the Nexus One, instead you have to go through the menu button.

As for emails, no, there's no way to copy text from emails which is really annoying when someone sends you a telephone number in a way that the phone doesn't recognise (e.g. if it's got brackets around it!), with multitasking you'd think you could flip between the contacts/phone app and the email app and tap the number in, but when you switch away from contacts/phone it dumps what you've done already and resets so you need to put the details into another note app and copy/paste from there (e.g. Note Everything).

Upvote 0
Didn't know about the select text thing, definately a work around on some parts. Still a bit annoying though, just noticed that if you miss off the first letter or so from a word you cant exactly go back and try again without it copying what you've already selected.

From using the Desire, could this functionality not be ported over by someone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones