copy and pasteSupport

Last Updated:

1. nyfinest32

nyfinest32 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi, is theres anyway to copy a specific word instead of having to copy the entire text field? sorry if this is a dumb question, im new to the whole android scene.

Advertisement
  2. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

You select text that you want to cut or copy. Selected text is highlighted in orange.
    1 Touch the text field or other portion of the screen that contains the text to select.
    2 Use the trackball to move the cursor to the beginning or end of the text to select.
    You can also touch in the text field to move the cursor in text.
    3 Press & hold the trackball, or touch & hold the text field. A menu opens with options for cutting, copying, and performing other tasks with the text field.
    4 Touch Select text. Or touch Select all to select all the text in the text field.
    5 Roll the trackball to select the text you want.
    6 Press & hold the trackball again (or touch & hold the text field) to open a menu you can use to cut or copy your selection, select all the text, or stop selecting text.

3. uf15

uf15 Member

They make it so simple and easy on Android.

4. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Is there any way to control the speed of the trackball? I didn't see anything like that in the settings app. I find I'm having to use a lot of strokes to move the cursor where I want it to go and would like to make it more sensitive.

5. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Some people should stick with iPhone. Not saying anyone in particular. Just some people.....

6. nyfinest32

right......

7. jthreads

jthreads Well-Known Member

Absolutely right :D

8. LADude

LADude Member

What type of person should stick to the iPhone?

That sounds very elitist and well...Apple-like.

9. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

ugh, i don't see the point in people being rude. it's a forum, people are bound to ask questions. i find that men especially (sorry guys) don't take the time to read manuals, and with modern UIs making most actions fairly common-sense, it's sometimes a shock to find something that we can't figure out how to do.

On top of that, the OP did mention they were new to Android (though I have no idea if copy/paste is possible in other Android versions on other phones), so give them a break! I'd already posted the answer, so why add your pointless remarks? Jeez. I don't get why people are so unreasonable when it comes to giving help.

10. metric152

metric152 Active Member

Another example of copy-paste is in the browser.

- Make sure you're zoomed in on what you want to copy.
    - Press the Menu key.
    - Press the More button.
    - Press Select text.
    - At this point you should see a little arrow icon on the screen. Move the arrow to the beginning of the word and click the track ball. This will start the copy.
    - Move the arrow to the end of the text you want to copy. Click the ball again to end the select. The text should now be copied to the clipboard.

You can do something similar with your finger, but it's less accurate. It's not as clean as the iPhone, but it gets the job done.

11. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart Well-Known Member

Well, you have to admit that the iPhone has one of the most elegant implementations of copy & paste to date.

12. nyfinest32

Thanks for the help guys.

13. uf15

uf15 Member

Or . . . Android could be creative and come up with a simplier, easier way to copy and paste. You know, innovation? Simplification?

Windows Mobile figured it out, why can't Android?

14. Napoleon_PhoneApart

No. You're not allowed to criticize the N1 in this forum. You can only criticize and villify competing phones. Get with the plan. :D

15. Sidecar

Sidecar Member

The Nexus One's lack of ability to copy and paste from a received email is the top item on my list of reasons to return it. Wish I knew when this will be fixed.

16. MarkR

MarkR Well-Known Member

Does any one know when this will be fixed? This feature is what I use most on my BB Storm to run my business on the road.
    I went to buy the droid and when I found it could not do this I decided to wait for the next version. I was really hopping that the N1 was going to fix this simple problem.
    Come on Google I want/need to get rid of my Storm.

17. olilan

olilan Active Member

Android phones with keyboards like the Droid *can* copy and paste from Gmail - hold down shift to bring up a cursor and select text. Doesn't help on the N1 though, unfortunately.

18. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

Why would they remove functionality in a software update?

19. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Well-Known Member

Stupid post.

20. olilan

olilan Active Member

They didn't remove any functionality - you can't use the shift key method on the Nexus because it doesn't have a shift key.

21. Napoleon_PhoneApart

22. gibson6594

gibson6594 Well-Known Member

Not to get into a symantics argument here, but if they removed the shift key, they removed functionality.

23. Sidecar

Sidecar Member

The funny thing is that it does actually have a shift key which comes up with the virtual keyboard. I've played around with different combinations of keys trying to get it to work and found that shift + L brings up a strange "label" dialog in the gmail app. Nothing happens with shift + any key in the email app, though.
    I agree, though, the functionality of being able to copy and paste should not be removed just because of a change in input device hardware.