1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Copy, cut and paste using the physical keyboardSupport

Last Updated:

1. Kami

Kami Member

Hello,

I know that some of you might find this thread funny, but I still haven't been able to figure out how to copy, cut and paste the text using the physical keyboard.

At first I tried the most obvious combination (menu + c / v), but it does not work.

After that I have searched the manual, google and multiple forums and the only thing I could find was a thread on droid forums, but the process described there clearly does not work.

I really do hope there is was to copy / paste the text using the physical keyboard, because even my old Symbian qwerty phone could do this.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Stooge89

Stooge89 Member

Yea, hey try holding the golden d pad button when you have some text highlighted.
  3. Kami

Kami Member

Yes, thanks I know about that one, but I've thought there is also some kind of faster two-key shortcut like "ctrl + c".
  4. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Hold shift and use the d-pad to select text then press and hold on the selected text and select copy etc.

EDIT: Or when you have the text selected press and hold the menu key on the keyboard and press C then hold the menu key and press V. It works, I've just tried it.
  5. Kami

Kami Member

Like I've posted in my previous post - I'm aware of this way of selecting and copying the text, but I hoped there was some kind of faster solution (like a two-key combination).

Edit: Interesting, I've posted this already, but this combination does not work on my phone.

Would you mind to share which input method you are using (I'm using standard Motorola keyboard - also tried Swift keyboard but doesn't work with it as well)?

Here are my keyboard related settings:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/521887/CAP201006141638.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/521887/CAP2010061416381.jpg

Oh and I'm running 2.1-update1, but I don't think that the problem is related to the firmware, but you never know.
  6. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

On the second screenshot I don't have any ticks but that doesn't really matter. The Copy-Paste function should work. Be sure to press and hold the menu button on your keyboard which is between the / and ALT button then press C and the same with V.
  7. Kami

Kami Member

No offense, but I am not a noob and the combination does not work (now guess it's some kind of strange bug / software setting).

Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem.
  8. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

I guess it's ROM related then. I'm on the EU 2.1 update1 ROM and am using a German Milestone.
  9. Kami

Kami Member

The funny thing is that I have the same configuration (German Milestone and EU 2.1 update-1).
  10. Kami

Kami Member

Guess, what?

Like I've initially suspected, the problem is related to the keyboard settings after all :)

Disabling "Quick fixes" under the "Motorola keyboard settings" fixed the problem.

At first, after just testing another keyboard (HTC IME Mod), I've thought that the problem is related to the "Motorola keyboard", because the copy and paste worked fine with it, but now after playing with the settings I found the actual problem (still don't know if that is a bug or a feature, because now I won't have quick fixes anymore).
    fejker likes this.
  11. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

Good to know.
  12. Kami

Kami Member

If you have quick fix enabled and you don't have such problems I would still be interested to test your "Motorola Keyboard" file (LatinIME.apk) - maybe mine is some how corrupted / has a bug.
  13. fejker

fejker Well-Known Member

I don't have quick fix enabled because it's useless for my language since there is no good dictionary file for the Slovenian language. But I tried turning all the options on and the copy/paste function works with quick fix turned on.

Here's the link to my LatinIME.apk

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
  14. vrrm

vrrm New Member

Is there a way to copy and paste an email?

I'm using a Motorola Droid, 2.1.
  15. Kami

Kami Member

I have just tested your LatinIME.apk Motorola keyboard file and it does not work when the quick fixes function is enabled.

It looks like it some kind of global bug or rather strange feature.

@vrrm: I don't think that is possible with the built-in gmail client, but if I'm not mistaken it works in K9 email client.
  16. Ally Cat

Ally Cat Active Member

I have a Droid3, and my old phone LG Ally Android keyboard shortcuts both work the same on both of these models. Hold down the shift key and use the arrows to select text, then hold the menu + X, C, or V to cut copy and paste. Keep in mind that on the Motorolla Droid3 the menu button is on the bottom of the screen and not the keyboard.

You can always hold your finger over a word to get the popup menu then, select all, etc, then long press to cut, copy, and paste.

Hope this helps, better late than never!