Copy files FROM ANDROID TO PCSupport

1. brooksy55

brooksy55 New Member

Hi
    I bought a nexus 7, which the speaker doesnt go so i need to take back for replacement.
    Can some one tell me how I can copy files eg apps from the nexus i have now, to my win 7, and store untill I get my new one.
    And then I would have to copy them back to the new ones. Reason I dont download again is i have many gb worth and will use up my download limit. Can you please tell me what files i need to copy, or if i need a certail program.
    Thank you in advance and excuse my english!

Advertisement
  2. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, Brooksy55!
    I have moved this thread into the Nexus 7 forum so that those with that same device can post tips to help you.:)
    brooksy55 likes this.
  3. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

Just connect the N7 to your PC with a USB cable, and the N7 will appear in Explorer. You can just drag and drop the folders from the N7 onto some convenient place in your PC.

Alternatively you can use something like ES File Explorer on the N7 to copy folders to your PC across a wireless network.
    brooksy55 likes this.
  4. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

You don't need to copy your apps. If you go to Settings > Backup & reset > select Back up my data and Automatic restore, your apps will be restored when you sign in to your Google account on the replacement. This won't affect your data usage if you have access to wi-fi for the restore. Any apps that don't restore can be manually installed from Play. Your app data can be restored if you make a Titanium Backup and copy the TitaniumBackup folder to the pc and copy it back to the replacement. Game data, bookmarks, etc. can be restored. Don't try to restore System data. I would be surprised if you really have Gb's of apps. It is usually the data that accumulates. You would need to be rooted and purchase Titanium Backup Pro to do the backup/restore efficiently. You can use TiBu to backup/restore the apps too, but is it recommended to re-install the apps and restore the data.
    brooksy55 likes this.
  5. whs37

whs37 Well-Known Member

As Groid said, a Titanium backup is your best bet. Copying individual apps is probably not going to work because you'll miss all the system settings.
    brooksy55 likes this.
  6. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

Bear in mind you have to be rooted for titanium backup to access your app settings. If you're not rooted I believe you can use the nexus toolkit by wugs to get a full system image without rooting, which you can later restore using the same software.
    brooksy55 likes this.
  7. brooksy55

brooksy55 New Member

Thanks for the info. If I root and copy them over, will that void the warranty?? I'm in nz so it could be different to the states though..
  8. Teknologic

It'll most likely depend on where you bought it from, but I haven't heard of any cases where a warranty was denied because it was rooted. Possibly because you always have the option to unroot and most people probably play it safe when returning it.
    brooksy55 likes this.
  9. brooksy55

brooksy55 New Member

So I can just unroot it before I return it and they want know it was rooted?
  10. Teknologic

In most cases I don't think hey even check. But yeah, you should be fine if you don't forget to lock your bootloader.