copy / pasteSupport

Last Updated:

1. TRSN

TRSN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got my new Captivate (replacing iPhone) and am trying to figure out how to copy / paste text from an email I have received. I have searched the forum and tried everything I can think of.

Anyone figure this one out?

Advertisement
  2. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

I bought Documents To Go, it has easy copy/paste functions. It's not free though.

fried chicken likes this.
  3. edawerd

edawerd Member

"copy paste it" will copy paste from anywhere on your phone

It copies text from any screen/app.

It requires a rooted phone

4. Vtec

Vtec Well-Known Member

This is bs, all the things this phone can do and it fails at a simple task. Seriously wtf? You shouldn't require an app or root to do something so basic

5. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

I agree. That's bs if this phone cannot do basic cut/paste without the hekp of a 3rd party application. Even basic smartphones and some non-smatphones can do cut/paste. There better be an update to enable cut/paste.

6. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

How long did it take Apple to add it (and MMS) to the iPhone? Copy paste can be done from the keyboard screen but not sure about email.

7. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Natively it sucks. Only lets you copy & past the whole text. There is a feature on the Captivate to let you pick what part of the text to copy & paste, but it's cumbersome at best.

Press and hold in front of the text you want to copy>Select Text
    Then tap quickly where you want to end the copy>Stop Selecting Text
    Then hold and Press when you get to where you want to go and Paste.

The iPhone has the best c&p on any phone though.

How to copy and paste text on your Android phone - Tutorials - butterscotch

8. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

The "Samsung" keyboard gives you arrows to move the cursor when you are copy/cutting. Just long-press the "?123" key. Still, I agree that iphone's text selection is better.

9. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, I use the Droid X keyboard. :) Samsung Keyboard seems to lag a lot for me because you can't turn off both the haptic feedback and the clicks.

10. 8th sin

8th sin Member

blackberrys take the cake here... I never thought cut and paste added much value until I got one. Now I am missing its ease, but still happy to leave my 9000 in the dust.

I've been able to figure it out for the most part, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to select/copy text in the gmail app. It's not an option in the edit menu.

11. sonorous

sonorous Active Member

Can you confirm that Documents To Go will allow copy and paste functionality in email and gmail? If it did this, I would buy it.

12. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

Here's the way I use it (for my business). I open Word To Go and then open an existing Word file. Hit the menu button, choose Edit, choose Select All, choose Edit again, choose Copy. Then, I go over to the email that I want to reply to and choose Reply. Press and hold on the text box and then choose Paste. That copies the Word text into the reply box. That's it, very easy!

13. vbnyc

vbnyc Member

Does anyone know if Froyo will add true cut and paste. One of my favorite features of the blackberry was cut and paste that worked anywhere.

14. fried chicken

fried chicken Active Member

one year later ...
    Just got a samsung charge last week and love it. My first disappointment tho is this email copy paste problem.
    Im curious, whats the technical or economic reason that droid software doesn't provide such a basic feature? Pls see Edit.

15. cincyrob

cincyrob Well-Known Member

i dont think it is the android software it is the manufacture issue(samsung) i know people with HTC and Motorola phones that dont have this issue.

16. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

Definitely a phone issue. I have an HTC inspire and I do not have problem copying/pasting within the email or text applications or any other similar applications.

17. fried chicken

18. fried chicken

TY mrcamp + cincy:
    Then why do u think samsung made the decision to offer minimal copy paste functions?
    It really makes things more difficult for businessmen who need to respond to emails all day + night long.

19. fried chicken

RingMe recommended Documents to Go, so I went to the dataviz.com site to buy one. It appears that they haven't yet developed product for samsung droid charge. I can't figure out how to register on the site to ask dataviz questions so i'm posting here.

DOes anybody know if docs to go for CHARGE is expected soon? Maybe I should be asking in the charge subforum.

20. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are asking. I have Documents to go on my HTC inspire. It's free in the market.

21. fried chicken

I was under the impression that docs to go had to be purchased via dataviz.
    Where can I download it for free?I
    Still the problem remains that its not yet available for samsung charge (according to the dataviz product list).

22. mrcamp

mrcamp Well-Known Member

Access the android market on your phone and search for it.

23. fried chicken

I see the Market program in Settings/Applications but I don't know how to access it.

EDIT. I found Market in Applications on menu but haven't found docs to go yet.

24. fried chicken

Hi RINGME. I have downloaded docs to go, its great to be able to create word docs. I just wrote 5 paragraphs of a fiction piece while sitting on a bench on Broadway NYC.

I followed your instructions above and I easily added my Word text to an email reply.
    However, TSRN in the OP wanted to copy paste specific portions of the original email into the reply. And unfortunately I still can't do that, even with docs to go. :(
    Is there a way?

25. VitaTaylor1003

VitaTaylor1003 New Member

Droid copy paste - YouTube

This simple you tube video shows step by step. The key is to hold down the message box (don't just tap), and then you will get a pop up screen that lets you select different paste options.

This was a life saver for me!

fried chicken likes this.