Copy to PCSupport

Last Updated:

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

What is with this "Estimating time to copy" nonsense? I've transferred all the stuff from Samsung phones just by copy and paste. This 4 gets hung up if it's a 0 B file. Just transfer the freaking folder!

Unlike the Samsung Nexus - you have to turn USB debugging off.
    The 4 has a catch 22. Titanium Backup warns you to have debugging on - and if debugging is on, the computer doesn't see the phone.

Any workaround for this?

I copy everything over and stash it on a USB besides the computer.

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

It this MTP connection that sees the N4 as a media device and not a removable drive. I'd still like to mount it as a USB drive, but that's "progress".
  3. zuben el genub

Sometimes progress ain't! Can't some dev do an app or include in a custom ROM?
  4. new optimus

new optimus Well-Known Member

I was told that MTP was faster, though how can you tell when the menu that shows you details like speed are not supported lol.

it is also supposed to allow you to continue to access the "sdcard" on the phone.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Faster in theory, maybe, but in practice it seems much slower and will often crap out on larger files. That's just been my experience, anyway.

Yes, you do not need to unmount the /sdcard partition to access it so you can see it on the phone and pc at the same time.
  6. OhSeven

OhSeven Well-Known Member Contributor

This silver lining makes me appreciate it more. Now, how about getting rid of the prompt from windows verifying that I really want to copy files because my "device might not be able to play or view this file"?
  7. zuben el genub

It doesn't tell you anything. If you try to copy an empty folder (5 files 0 bytes) it just freaking sits there calculating time until you see that the Nexus 4 is not responding.
    Can't it say folder can't be copied?

The Samsungs just copied and pasted, no questions asked. Might take a while, but they did do it without complaining.
  8. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member

I have found that the cable supplied with the Nexus 4 is fairly crap, especially for transferring files. My workaround is:
    a) Use a better cable (mt wife's HTC cable gives me 0 problems)
    b) Use something like AirDroid to do it wirelessly - takes time though
    c) Use a cloud storage app (ie DropBox) to upload files and then use the desktop app to transfer to whatever media storage you like.

Not perfect I understand but I don't transfer lots of stuff.
  9. zuben el genub

Most stuff transferred. It was just zero byte files that wouldn't. At least that's what properties on XP said, and checking the folder on the phone with ES said empty, too.

The Nexus S and SGS4G just transferred all the files, regardless if the folder was empty or not. Took them a while.

But the 4 hung up on calculating the time to transfer and then stopped responding.
    Guess it doesn't know how to deal with 0 bytes or you aren't supposed to get the file.

I did try the Nexus S cable.