Copying text from a GMail message

Last Updated:

1. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to copy text from an email in the Google Mail app? I suppose it would be possible to navigate to GMail in the Browser and copy from there, but I wonder if there is a quicker way?

Advertisement
  2. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

It's a great question.
    Much urine has been extracted from the iphone crowd about this same omission.

Is there a fix?

3. markdmac

markdmac Well-Known Member

I just encountered this for the first time on both of my phones (HTC Eris and Motorola Droid). I can't believe you cannot copy text from an email. I sent myself an email so I could copy the information to a note to keep on my phone. Imagine my surprise when something I can do on a PocketPC for the last 8 years could not be accomplished on my awesome new Android phones. Why has this not been fixed?

4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I couldn't even copy a phone number from a contact into a text message to send to someone the other day. Had to stop, write the number down then type it into the text message.

Coming from Blackberry, where you can copy and paste everywhere, and seeing the bad press iPhone got for missing copy and paste, I simply cannot understand how it's not been implemented in Android.

(And none of the "Android is xx years behind iPhone, etc. Copy and Paste will come eventually". Everyone knows about it, how it works, etc. It doesn't need to be re-invented, simply implemented. Oh - that's right, we get animated wallpapers.)

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Go to the contact, go to edit mode, click once on the phone no. and then long press on it you'll get options to copy/cut. Long pressing in the SMS will then give you a similar menu to paste the number.

The same rule goes for most text boxes. Just not gmail it would seem.

6. Timanator

Timanator Well-Known Member

This is the only function I think is missing from the Hero. I would love to be able to copy and paste sections out of emails. Maybe it will be addressed in a future update.

7. MF1

MF1 Well-Known Member

For the odd time I need this I have to forward the email to one of my other email accounts which uses the normal mail program. From here you can copy out. Agree Google have dropped a biggie with there Gmail app not allowing this.

8. brykins

Thanks - didn't think of going into edit mode. Still shouldn't have to - ought to be able to copy and past text from anywhere in any app by now.

9. james

james Well-Known Member

I don't even use the Gmail app, I don't like it at all. I just have Gmail set up in the Mail app, you can copy and paste in that.

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Yup yup, mail app is so much better.

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You would've thought the gmail app would be one of the best features of google's OS wouldn't you?

12. brykins

No! That would be animated wallpapers!

13. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Lol'ed