Copying VCF address book file to X10 miniSupport

Last Updated:

1. phil_mw60

phil_mw60 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I am trying to copy my contacts from my old Sony Ericsson W595 to my new Sony Ericsson X10 mini phone.

I downloaded a bluetooth file transfer app from the Android Market (As I know the Sony Ericsson s/w doesn't yet support bluetooth file transfer) and this works well and lets me 'pull' photos from my old phone without any problem.

However I am running into problems trying to copy my address book backup from the memory card on my W595.. I can browse to it in the system/pim folder however when I select to transfer it to my phone I get an error saying 'unrecgonised mime type' and I get asked which application to open the file with. I've tried a few options but I can't seem to find anything that knows what to do with the .vcf file.

Is there an easy way to add .vcf as a mime type? Or is there a better way to transfer my contacts to my x10? Even though I have installed the bluetooth file transfer app, my old phone still can't detect my x10 when searching for bluetooth devices..

thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Phil.

Advertisement
  2. MiniDroid

MiniDroid Well-Known Member

The .vcf files is a type of vcard, you can import them to Microsoft Outlook (not express I think) and from there you might be able to import them you your x10 mini.
    A quick google search also gives you many converters - your old mobile might use a old format...

The SE Xperia x10 mini uses vCard version 2.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Also.... you can use vCardIO, an app on you mini.
    This is from user abhay9 on the esato.com forum:

"Transfer all the contacts to a vcf file, I did this using My Phone explorer.
    Then copy the vcf file to the phone at any known location.
    Install VcardIO on your mini
    Import contacts to Phonebook using VcardIO"

Hope this helps.

phil_mw60 likes this.
  3. phil_mw60

phil_mw60 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Minidroid,

Thanks for your quick response.. it sounds like the vCardIO app is just the thing I need..

I will try downloading it later today and see if it will accept the VCF file.

Thanks again,

Phil

4. lolbug

lolbug Banned

Since I assume you have a gmail account, use google contacts!
    go to google.com/contacts while logged into gmail if you can't find it

Import everything there, edit them if needed in the browser and it syncs automatically to the phone
    (uses the same google account that you've set up for your mail and calendar).
    Now you'll never loose a contact and can access them online as well =)

5. raven_wyld

raven_wyld New Member

i have sync'd my x10 with google, but i still have no numbers on my phone... any suggestions?