Corporate Wireless connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. blatant

blatant Member This Topic's Starter

I've done a little googling and the such as, however so far everything I've tried doesn't work

I am trying to connect my samsung galaxy s (2.1) to my work's wireless network. It's a windows AD domain. I know a little about the protocols in place however am not entirely certain how it all works.
    They use 802.1x with PEAP and MSCHAPv2
    I've extracted my user certificate from my desktop at work (certmgr.msc) and installed it in the store on the droid.
    in wireless neworks it finds the SSID, and I put PEAP/MSCHAPv2 in the settings, I select the certificate.
    it doesn't connect.

I can provide more details of the network as needed but I'm not sure what exactly to include.

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Does your IT department know about this? If so then you should ask them for help. Otherwise it could be a pretty big deal if they find out what you're doing without permission.

3. blatant

I am part of the IT department. I have permission, and administrative rights to the DC but I didn't do the initial configuration which is why I'm unsure how it all fits together. I can ask the sysadmin further details but he's already had a play with the phone.

Edit: I should mention we've in the past tried to get several androids (desire etc) and iphones on the wifi for staff but dismissed as too hard. now i own one I'm more persistent. If we figure it out, connecting smartphones will become part of our business model

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I'm not positive the certificate from the desktop will work on Android. Perhaps you could pose the question in the Developer forums and see if any of the developers know.

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Could be the network only set to recognise certain MAC addresses, and the phone's MAC address is not been recognised.

6. blatant

nah usually it only authenticates if the machine is bound to AD but we have some iPhones working correcty so I'm hoping android can stand up to that haha