Correct way to transfer data from old SD card to new?Support

Last Updated:

1. WarnerYoung

WarnerYoung Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there anything special I need to do to transfer data from an old SD card (the stock 2GB) to a new one (8GB)? Can I just copy the entire old card using a card reader to my PC, then copy all of that back to the new card? Or do I need to do anything special on the Incredible itself?

Advertisement
  2. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

Nope, That's the easiest way. I've had to do it twice, since my Sandisk card kept crapping out on me. Make sure to format the new SD card first though.

3. WarnerYoung

WarnerYoung Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks.

Just to be sure, what do you mean by format the card in this case? All SD cards I've ever bought were already formatted. Do you mean I need to format it using the phone to be sure some special formatting is used? Or do you mean it just needs to be formatted (using desktop PC) to be safe?

4. kcmartz

kcmartz Well-Known Member

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You can format the new card once in the phone but if you ever get involved in advance usage and rooting the phone, you may be time ahead to format to FAT32 via the PC instead. You'd do this by connecting phone to PC via USB cable in disk drive connection mode > My Computer > Find "drive" that is actually the phone > Right click and format.

Those are basic instructions, do a search to find more involved details so you don't inadvertantly attempt to format the internal memory but just the SD card itself. And yes, I'd transfer your old files just the way you said, copy & paste from the PC.